ODE - having trouble using method of undetermined coefficients

In summary, the problem is to find a particular solution for the ODEs y'' + 4y = 4cos(2t) and y'' + 16y = 3sin(4t), where the forcing term is a solution of the associated homogeneous solution. For the first ODE, the characteristic polynomial has roots of 2i with a multiplicity of two, leading to a basis for the homogeneous solution space of {cos(2t) + sin(2t), tcos(2t) + tsin(2t)}. A better guess for the particular solution is At^2cos(2t) + Bt^2sin(2t). For the second ODE, a
amanda_ou812

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution.
1. y'' +4y = 4 cos (2t) (for this problem, the instructions tell me that the forcing term is a solution of the associated homogeneous solution)
2. y'' + 16 y = 3 sin (4t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I guess that Acos (2t) + Bsin (2t) was a solution but it did not work out. I am thinking that since the roots to the characteristic polynomial are 2i with a multiplicity of two this means that a basis for the homogeneous solution space is { cos (2t) + sin (2t) , t cos (2t) + t sin (2t)}. So I am thinking a better guess should be A t^2 cos (2t) + B t^2 sin (2t). Is this correct?
2. For this one I guessed Acos (4t) + Bsin (4t) was a solution but it did not work out (provided that I did my computation correctly). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The characteristic equation is

[tex]r^2 + 4 = 0 [/tex]

2i is not a multiplicity of 2...

since your ODE does not have y' term, what would be a better guess?

hint:
y=Acos(4t)
y''=-Acost(4t)

If I choose y =A cos (2t) Then wouldn't y'' = -4 A cos (2t) and then y'' + 4 y = 0

I figured it out

Related to ODE - having trouble using method of undetermined coefficients

What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with non-homogeneous terms. It involves guessing a particular solution based on the form of the non-homogeneous term and then solving for the coefficients of that solution.

Why am I having trouble using the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients can be challenging to use because it requires a good understanding of the form of the non-homogeneous term and the corresponding homogeneous solution. If these are not known, it can be difficult to guess an appropriate particular solution.

What are some common mistakes when using the method of undetermined coefficients?

Some common mistakes when using the method of undetermined coefficients include not considering all possible forms of the particular solution, not properly accounting for repeated roots, and not checking the compatibility conditions for the solution.

Can the method of undetermined coefficients be used for all types of ODEs?

No, the method of undetermined coefficients is only applicable to linear ODEs with constant coefficients and non-homogeneous terms that are polynomials, exponential functions, or trigonometric functions. It cannot be used for non-linear or variable coefficient ODEs.

Is there an alternative method to solve ODEs with non-homogeneous terms?

Yes, another commonly used method is the method of variation of parameters, which involves finding a particular solution by integrating a set of functions that are linearly independent from the homogeneous solution. This method can be used for a wider range of ODEs with non-homogeneous terms.