ODE ( 2nd order nonhomogeneous equation)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the method of undetermined coefficients to find the particular solution of y''+y'+y=(sin x)^2. The speaker suggests using a trigonometric identity and a particular solution of the form A+ Bsin(2x)+ Ccos(2x) to solve the problem.
soonsoon88

Homework Statement

By using the method of undetermined coefficients,find the particular solution of
y''+y'+y=(sin x)^2

Homework Equations

i know how to determine the particular solution IF it is sin x.
Ex: sin x ====> Asin x + B cos x (particular)

but i wonder how to determine the (sin x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
i haven't actually seen a problem like this come up, but i think similarly to finding the particular solution to something like lhs=t^2 is A+Bt+Ct^2, it'd be something like:

Asin(x)+Bcos(x)+Ccos^2(x)+Dsin^2(x)

i'm not 100% sure, but i'd try something like that and see if it works out. good luck!

You can't assume a solution of the form cos2 x or sin2 x because sine or cosine squared are not of the form that gets as solutions to a homogeneous equation with constant coefficients. However, you CAN use a trigonometric identity. Since cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b), taking a= b= x, cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2(x). Replacing cos2(x) by 1- sin2(x), cos(2x)= 1- 2sin2(x) so sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)). Look for a particular solution of the form A+ Bsin(2x)+ Ccos(2x).

Thx for helping ! i did solve the Q:!)

Related to ODE ( 2nd order nonhomogeneous equation)

What is an ODE (2nd order nonhomogeneous equation)?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. A 2nd order nonhomogeneous equation is an ODE that involves a second derivative of the function and a non-zero function on the right side of the equation.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and nonhomogeneous ODE?

A homogeneous ODE has a right side of the equation that is equal to zero. This means that the function and its derivatives are the only variables in the equation. A nonhomogeneous ODE has a non-zero function on the right side of the equation, adding an additional variable to the equation.

How do you solve a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE?

The general solution to a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE is a combination of the complementary function and the particular integral. The complementary function is the solution to the associated homogeneous ODE, while the particular integral is a specific solution to the nonhomogeneous ODE. The complete solution can be found by adding these two components together.

What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to find the particular integral in a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE. It involves guessing a form for the particular integral based on the form of the nonhomogeneous function, and then solving for the coefficients using substitution and comparison.

What are the boundary conditions in a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE?

Boundary conditions are additional information given in a problem that helps to determine the specific solution to a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE. They can be initial conditions, which specify the values of the function and its derivative at a given point, or boundary value conditions, which specify the values of the function at multiple points.