Obtaining pi through use of trigonometry and limits

Sof(x)=\lim_n\lim_m f_n(x/m)=\lim_m f(\pi/m)and this is a very different function from f. In fact, it is 0.In summary, the conversation discusses an equation stumbled upon during some geometry work involving n-sided regular polygons. The equation, which could not be found on the internet, is \pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin \frac{\pi}{n}. By substitution, it is shown that \pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin (\sin \frac{\pi}{n}) and \pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin(\sin(\
JDude13
Whilst messing around with some geometry pertaining to the n-sided regular polygon, I stumbled upon this equation which I could not find anywhere on the internet.
[itex]\pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin \frac{\pi}{n}[/itex]
But if we take this to be true then, by substitution, this is also true:
[itex]\pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin (\sin \frac{\pi}{n})[/itex]
And ad infinitum:
[itex]\pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin(\sin(\sin(\sin(...))))[/itex]
However this makes no sense to me... at the heart of this seemingly infinite sea of sine functions is there a pi/n core? Or is there no centre and is each sine function ultimately a function of nothing?
Or have I been misusing the maths?

EDIT:
Just blew my own mind with
[itex]p = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin \frac{p}{n}[/itex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
JDude13 said:
Whilst messing around with some geometry pertaining to the n-sided regular polygon, I stumbled upon this equation which I could not find anywhere on the internet.
[itex]\pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin \frac{\pi}{n}[/itex]

This is actually a very well-known limit. It's found in lots of places on the internet if you use the right search phrases. In fact, I rediscovered it myself as a kid, just like you. :biggrin:

It's not all that useful as a starting point for calculating ∏, though.

But if we take this to be true then, by substitution, this is also true:
[itex]\pi = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin (\sin \frac{\pi}{n})[/itex]
And ad infinitum:
However this makes no sense to me... at the heart of this seemingly infinite sea of sine functions is there a pi/n core? Or is there no centre and is each sine function ultimately a function of nothing?

You're misusing math notation. This is akin to saying:

[tex]2 = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\frac{1}{2}}}} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{\frac{1}{...}}}[/tex]

So what's at the "bottom" of that infinitely nested fraction? 2? 1? Nothing? This sort of confusion is just because we're using shoddy notation.

Curious3141 said:
we're using shoddy notation.

Is there a notation that exists which deals with this "nesting"?

JDude13 said:
EDIT:
Just blew my own mind with
[itex]p = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \sin \frac{p}{n}[/itex]

And that's simply a consequence of the fact that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sin x = x[/itex].

Curious3141 said:
And that's simply a consequence of the fact that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sin x = x[/itex].

Isn't it [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sin x = 0[/itex] ?

JDude13 said:
Isn't it [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sin x = 0[/itex] ?

Yes, it is. I should've been clearer.

What I meant was [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/itex].

Meaning that as x gets smaller, sin x is better approximated by x. This can be seen from the Taylor series for sin x. It can also be proved by L' Hopital's Rule.

In relation to your question,

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n \sin(\frac{p}{n}) = p\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{p} \sin(\frac{p}{n}) = p\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = p[/tex]

after making the substitution [itex]x = \frac{p}{n}[/itex].

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
Yes, it is. I should've been clearer.

What I meant was [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/itex].

Meaning that as x gets smaller, sin x is better approximated by x. This can be seen from the Taylor series for sin x. It can also be proved by L' Hopital's Rule.

Ah that makes more sense. I'm stuck in the mindset that a limit implies that the variable is equal to its limit. Thanks

JDude13 said:
Ah that makes more sense. I'm stuck in the mindset that a limit implies that the variable is equal to its limit. Thanks

I made an edit which you might want to see.

JDude13 said:
And ad infinitum:

This makes no sense. It's not because there is a limit for every finite nesting of sine functions, that you can write an infinite nesting. In fact, there are subtle convergence issues most of the time.

Here, it is easy to see that such an infinite nesting of since functions must equal 0. Let

[tex]x=\sin(\sin(\sin(\sin(\sin(...)))))[/tex]

then

[tex]\sin(x)=\sin(\sin(\sin(\sin(...))))=x[/tex]

Solving [itex]\sin(x)=x[/itex], gives us x=0.

So the nesting of infinite sines is 0.

Now, why can't you go from a finite nesting to an infinite nesting. Well, let

[tex]f_n(x)=\sin(...\sin(x))[/tex]

a nesting of n sine functions. Let [itex]f(x)=\lim_n f_n(x)[/itex] the infinite nesting.

You have proven that

[tex]\lim_m mf_n(\pi/m)=\pi[/tex]

and thus

[tex]\lim_n \lim_m mf_n(\pi/m)=\pi[/tex]

This does not imply

[tex]\pi=\lim_m\lim_n mf_n(\pi/m)=\lim_m mf(\pi/m)[/tex]

since you cannot exchange two limits in general.

Related to Obtaining pi through use of trigonometry and limits

1. How is pi calculated using trigonometry and limits?

Pi can be approximated by using the limit of trigonometric functions. This involves taking the limit of the perimeter of a regular polygon with an increasing number of sides, which approaches the circumference of a circle. This limit is equal to pi.

2. What is the formula for calculating pi using trigonometry and limits?

The formula for calculating pi using trigonometry and limits is: pi = lim n->∞ n * sin(180°/n), where n is the number of sides of the regular polygon.

3. How accurate is the approximation of pi using trigonometry and limits?

The accuracy of the approximation of pi using trigonometry and limits depends on the number of sides of the regular polygon used in the calculation. The more sides there are, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of pi.

4. Can pi be calculated exactly using trigonometry and limits?

No, pi cannot be calculated exactly using trigonometry and limits. It is an irrational number with an infinite number of decimal places, and can only be approximated.

5. What are the practical applications of using trigonometry and limits to obtain pi?

The calculation of pi using trigonometry and limits has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used in the design of circular objects and structures, as well as in numerical calculations involving circles and curves.