Complex Fourier Series Problem

In summary: Fourier series to get more comfortable with itIn summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating a complex Fourier series for a function f(t)=t. The conversation includes several steps and suggestions for solving the exercise, including treating the n=0 case separately and being mindful of the integration and limit as n approaches 0. The conversation ends with the suggestion to continue practicing with exercises involving Fourier series to become more comfortable with the concept.
MAGNIBORO
Hi, I'm starting to studying Fourier series and I have troubles with one exercises of complex Fourier series with
f(t) = t:
$$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \frac{e^{itn}}{2\pi }\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}t\: e^{-itn} dt$$
$$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \frac{cos(tn)+i\, sin(tn)}{2\pi }\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}t\: e^{-itn} dt$$
$$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \frac{cos(tn)+i\, sin(tn)}{2\pi }\: (2i)(\frac{\pi cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{sin(\pi n)}{n^{2}})$$
$$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right )+i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
Because the imaginary part is a odd function only remains the term with n=0
so:
$$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right )+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
Because the real part is a even function we can transform it into this:
$$t=2\sum_{n=1 }^{\infty } \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(\pi n )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right )+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right)+$$
$$+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
the first limit is 0 and in the sum we can delete the term with contains ##sin(\pi n )## and get:
$$t=-2\sum_{n=1 }^{\infty }\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n}+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
$$t=-2\sum_{n=1 }^{\infty }(-1)^{n}\frac{sin(nt)}{n}+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$

this is right if the limit is equal to 0 but is undefined so where is the error?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok well, sorry just ignore what I said I thought the limit is with n to infinity.

Suggestion is to treat the n=0 case separately at the beginning, so that you don't have these false n's (with n=0) showing up in the denominator. The n=0 term integrates to zero on the right integral at the very top.

Likes MAGNIBORO and Delta2
Charles Link said:
Suggestion is to treat the n=0 case separately at the beginning, so that you don't have these false n's (with n=0) showing up in the denominator. The n=0 term integrates to zero on the right integral at the very top.
.-. You are right, That's the way to banish the term n=0.
until the 3 step the n=0 case works fine but after expanding all,the 4 step ruined everything.
other question:
why expanding things make mistakes? , I mean is algebra, you have some example where expanding make mistakes?
thanks =D

MAGNIBORO said:
.-. You are right, That's the way to banish the term n=0.
until the 3 step the n=0 case works fine but after expanding all,the 4 step ruined everything.
other question:
why expanding things make mistakes? , I mean is algebra, you have some example where expanding make mistakes?
thanks =D
Well, the limit is not undefined. In the limit n goes to zero, ##\cos n \pi/n ## goes to 1/n plus a correction of order n and higher which go to zero, and ##sin(n\pi)/n^2 ## goes to ##\pi/n## plus corrections of order n and higher. So the two terms you had cancel out.

if you don't like this limiting procedure, then the answer is that the integration and the limit ##n ## goes to zero do not commute. Strictly speaking, your integral of ##t e^{-itn}## is valid only for ##n \neq 0##. For n=0 you have to set n=0 before doing the integration. But I prefer to think of the integral as being correct for any n and that the limit n->0 is perfectly ok.

nrqed said:
Well, the limit is not undefined. In the limit n goes to zero, ##\cos n \pi/n ## goes to 1/n plus a correction of order n and higher which go to zero, and ##sin(n\pi)/n^2 ## goes to ##\pi/n## plus corrections of order n and higher. So the two terms you had cancel out.

if you don't like this limiting procedure, then the answer is that the integration and the limit ##n ## goes to zero do not commute. Strictly speaking, your integral of ##t e^{-itn}## is valid only for ##n \neq 0##. For n=0 you have to set n=0 before doing the integration. But I prefer to think of the integral as being correct for any n and that the limit n->0 is perfectly ok.
Thanks , I guess I have to keep solving exercises

Related to Complex Fourier Series Problem

1. What is a Complex Fourier Series?

A Complex Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies and can be used to analyze and manipulate signals in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. How is a Complex Fourier Series different from a regular Fourier Series?

A regular Fourier Series only deals with real-valued functions, while a Complex Fourier Series allows for the use of complex-valued functions. This means that the coefficients in a Complex Fourier Series can have both real and imaginary components, adding an extra dimension to the analysis of the function.

3. What is the formula for a Complex Fourier Series?

The formula for a Complex Fourier Series is given by: f(x) = n=0 c n exp(inx) where c n exp(inx) are the complex coefficients of the series.

4. What are some applications of Complex Fourier Series?

Complex Fourier Series have various applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and circuit analysis. They are used to analyze and manipulate signals with multiple frequencies, such as in audio and video signals, and to solve differential equations in physics and engineering problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Complex Fourier Series?

Complex Fourier Series are limited to functions that are periodic and have a finite number of discontinuities. They also require the function to be integrable over one period. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be affected by the presence of singularities or sharp corners in the function. In such cases, alternative methods may need to be used.