Obtaing a desired quadratic equation

In summary, to find an inverted quadratic equation with a maximum y=100 and roots x=0 and x=1/120, you need to find a function in the form y=C-a(x-b)^2, where C=100 and the maximum is at x=b. The extremum for a quadratic is located halfway between any real roots, but it is important to understand the concept behind this in order to solve similar problems in the future.
tsumi

Homework Statement

Get an inverted quadratic equation ([itex]-x^2[/itex]) with maximum y=100 and roots x=0 and x=1/120.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried changing the several terms of the quadratic equation, used the quadratic formula setting c=100, and x=0 with the negative root and x=1/120 with the positive root, among other less smart attempts. Could not get something reasonable.

Does anyone know how to do it? It does not seam that much difficult, maybe my academic formation is just weak.. =\

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tsumi,

You need to find the function y(x)=ax^2+bx+c, which crosses the x-axis at points x1=0 and x2=1/120, and its maximum is 100=y(max). Or you can write out the function in the form y=C-a(x-b)^2. In this case C=100 as you said, and the maximum is at x=b. Where is the position of the peak of a parabola with respect to its zero points?

ehild

Last edited:
tsumi said:

Homework Statement

Get an inverted quadratic equation ([itex]-x^2[/itex]) with maximum y=100 and roots x=0 and x=1/120.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried changing the several terms of the quadratic equation, used the quadratic formula setting c=100, and x=0 with the negative root and x=1/120 with the positive root, among other less smart attempts. Could not get something reasonable.

Does anyone know how to do it? It does not seam that much difficult, maybe my academic formation is just weak.. =\

What you seem to be missing (I was not able to understand what you did) is that with roots , α, β, ... the equation
(x - α)(x - β) = 0 is satisfied. And so on for as many roots as there are. This is coming at it from the solved side so to speak - you have probably had more emphasis from the unsolved side.

The conditions you are required to satisfy involve more than the roots, in fact you need an equation of form

A(x - α)(x - β) = 0,

where A is a constant. You are being asked then also to find the A that gives you the maximum stated. If you revise (or work it out) you will find that an extremum for a quadratic is localised halfway between any real roots; however do not just blindly apply that without understanding where that comes from, certainly in your book, or work out self, otherwise you will not have benefited and made self able to solve next time.

Related to Obtaing a desired quadratic equation

1. How can I obtain a desired quadratic equation?

To obtain a desired quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square method to solve for the desired coefficients. Additionally, you can manipulate an existing quadratic equation by factoring or using the properties of quadratics.

2. What are the steps to obtain a desired quadratic equation?

The steps to obtain a desired quadratic equation may vary depending on the specific equation, but generally you will need to solve for the unknown coefficients by using algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. You may also need to manipulate the equation by adding, subtracting, or multiplying terms to achieve the desired form.

3. What are some common mistakes when obtaining a desired quadratic equation?

Some common mistakes when obtaining a desired quadratic equation include incorrectly applying the quadratic formula or making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double check your work and use multiple methods to confirm the accuracy of your solution.

4. Can I obtain any quadratic equation I want?

Yes, it is possible to obtain any desired quadratic equation by manipulating an existing equation or solving for the coefficients using algebraic methods. However, some equations may be more complex and require advanced techniques to obtain the desired form.

5. How can I check if my obtained quadratic equation is correct?

You can check if your obtained quadratic equation is correct by plugging in values for x and y and verifying that they satisfy the equation. You can also graph the equation and compare it to the desired form to ensure they match. If you are unsure, you can always ask a peer or teacher to review your work.