Object sliding up/down with a angular speed

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine at what angular velocity an object will start sliding up or sliding down a circle without any angular acceleration. The solution involves using the static friction coefficient and the sum of forces along the sliding path. The conversation also touches on the concept of centripetal acceleration and how it affects the object's position on the vertical circle.
MechaMZ

Homework Statement

This is a concept question rather than a homework question, so i don't have any value for the question.

From the figures below, the object is turning horizontally. how do we know the object will start sliding up or sliding down at what angular velocity if there is no angular acceleration. Let's assume there is a friction force along the sliding path.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8453/p667.gif http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/520/slideupordown.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

1. What kind of friction coefficient should we use, static friction or kinetic friction?
2. I've draw out the free body, but still can't figure out the way to know the object will start to move at what angular speed? but i believe the free body diagram of both situations are the same.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4503/slidedown.jpg

by using sum of Falong the sliding path = m(accos [tex]\vartheta[/tex])?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the object is initially not sliding, use the static friction coefficient to figure out when it will start sliding.

I think you're correct, using

sum of Falong the sliding path = m ( ac cos θ )?​

should work. But I haven't worked this out myself.

should i assume sum of Falong the sliding path = 0 if the angular speed is just nice without any sliding?

I'm referring to the motion below:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8453/p667.gif

and i have draw out the free body diagram when the object is about to sliding down.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4503/slidedown.jpg

i'm confuse where should the Nsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex] place at? or do i need to resolve the N to Ntan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] and in the direction opposite the mgsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex] instead?(diagram below)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4503/slidedown.jpg

for the centripetal acceleration,
sum of Fc=mac
N-mgcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=mac

for the sliding path,
sum of Fsliding path=mactan[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
mg sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex] - friction force = mactan[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

if my assumption is correct, then where should i put the Nsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]? or change it to Ntan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] and place it along the sliding path??

Last edited by a moderator:
ac is the centripetal acceleration of the object on the vertical motion along the circle. The object is also describing horizontal circular motion. What is the centripetal acceleration for this motion? Position of the object on the vertical circle will be decided by this acceleration.

rl.bhat said:
ac is the centripetal acceleration of the object on the vertical motion along the circle. The object is also describing horizontal circular motion. What is the centripetal acceleration for this motion? Position of the object on the vertical circle will be decided by this acceleration.

could you explain in more detail? because i really don't understand =(

When the object is turning horizontally,it will be pushed away from the axis of rotation, just like a passenger is pushed outward in a turning car. This force is equal to m(ω^2)r. One component of this force pushes the object up on the circular loop, and the other component contributes to the normal reaction. Its upward push is opposed by the component of the weight and frictional force. Other component of weight contributes to the normal reaction.

Last edited:

Related to Object sliding up/down with a angular speed

1. What factors affect the angular speed of an object sliding up/down?

The angular speed of an object sliding up/down is affected by the slope of the surface it is sliding on, the mass of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. Additionally, the presence of external forces such as air resistance can also impact the angular speed.

2. How does the angle of the surface affect the angular speed of an object sliding up/down?

The steeper the angle of the surface, the greater the gravitational force acting on the object, resulting in a higher angular speed. On the other hand, a more gradual slope will result in a lower angular speed.

3. Can the shape of the object affect its angular speed while sliding up/down?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its angular speed while sliding up/down. Objects with a larger surface area, such as a flat board, will experience more air resistance and therefore have a lower angular speed compared to a more streamlined object with a smaller surface area.

4. How does the mass of an object impact its angular speed while sliding up/down?

The mass of an object directly affects its angular speed while sliding up/down. A heavier object will have a greater gravitational force acting on it, resulting in a higher angular speed compared to a lighter object.

5. How does friction affect the angular speed of an object sliding up/down?

The coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is sliding on can impact the object's angular speed. Higher friction will result in a lower angular speed as more energy is required to overcome the resistance of the surface. Additionally, a lack of friction, such as on a slippery surface, can cause an object to slide faster with a higher angular speed.