Conservation of angular momentum

In summary, an 220-kg beam 2.8 m in length slides broadside down the ice with a speed of 23 m/s. A 68-kgman at rest grabs one end as it goes past and hangs on as both he and the beam go spinning down the ice. Assume frictionless motion.
deuce123

Homework Statement

A 220-kg beam 2.8 m in length slides broadside down the ice with a speed of 23 m/s . A 68-kgman at rest grabs one end as it goes past and hangs on as both he and the beam go spinning down the ice. Assume frictionless motion. (Figure 1)

Homework Equations

L1=L2
Iω=L
GIANCOLI.ch11.p50.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

With what angular velocity does the system rotate about its cm? For this question i tried to use the initial moment of inertia w.r.t the CM by...[ 1/12Ml^2 + Mh^2] ω------ where l=2.8m M=220kg and h=.33m ----- For some reason this doesn't work. I'm positive the other side of the equation i listed is correct, i had it checked out. I ended up getting the answer for this question too see where i went wrong, it ended up being ω=6.8 rad/s--- And they used (Mhv)
M=220kg h=.33m v=23 m/s. I'm not sure how that equates too being angular momentum (Iω), but it worked for the answer. Can someone explain to me why they used that and why it worked. Also how else can you approach the initial angular momentum, somewhere along the lines of what i was doing. Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
OK so h=0.33m is the distance from the CM of the beam to the CM of the system.

deuce123 said:
For this question i tried to use the initial moment of inertia w.r.t the CM by...[ 1/12Ml^2 + Mh^2] ω------ where l=2.8m M=220kg and h=.33m ----- For some reason this doesn't work.

That's because before the collision the beam isn't rotating about the systems CoM. It's traveling in a straight line "past" the systems CoM.

deuce123 said:
they used (Mhv)
M=220kg h=.33m v=23 m/s. I'm not sure how that equates too being angular momentum (Iω),

That's the correct equation for a particle mass m moving in a straight line past a point. See second paragraph..

http://courses.ncssm.edu/apb11o/resources/guides/G11-4.angmom.htm

In your case r=h and just before the collision the sinθ=1 so the angular momentum is Mhv.

deuce123 said:
Also how else can you approach the initial angular momentum, somewhere along the lines of what i was doing.

If you want to do it "your way" you need to calculate the moment of inertia as if it's a particle of mass 220kg moving past the system CoM...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

For a particle mass m and radius h..

I = mh2
ω = V/h

Angular Momentum
= I*ω
= mh2*V/h
h cancels
= mhv
same as before

CWatters said:
OK so h=0.33m is the distance from the CM of the beam to the CM of the system.
That's because before the collision the beam isn't rotating about the systems CoM. It's traveling in a straight line "past" the systems CoM.
That's the correct equation for a particle mass m moving in a straight line past a point. See second paragraph..

http://courses.ncssm.edu/apb11o/resources/guides/G11-4.angmom.htm

In your case r=h and just before the collision the sinθ=1 so the angular momentum is Mhv.
Thank you i understand now. Also, how come they only want the component rsin? Even for particles that are far away from the axis of rotation. Is it because that there is no angular momenta till it hits that point?

deuce123 said:
Also, how come they only want the component rsin? Even for particles that are far away from the axis of rotation. Is it because that there is no angular momenta till it hits that point?

No. rSinθ gives you the tangential offset shown on this this diagram (left hand diagram). It's the same rule for calculating the lever arm when working out the torque produced by a force.

If the particle passes through the centre point then the radius r is unchanged but rSinθ=0 and the angular momentum equals zero as you would expect (Right hand diagram.
Angular momentum.jpg

A tip: with such problems, there is nearly always an easier way than finding the common mass centre.
Say the beam has mass M, length L and initial speed u. The man has mass m, and just after the impact the beam's mass centre has linear speed v and angular speed w.
What is the man's linear speed just after impact?
What equation do you get for linear momentum?
For angular momentum, I suggest using as reference axis either the man's initial position or the position of the beam's mass centre at instant of impact. Either way, just find the before and after angular momenta of each component and write out the conservation equation.

Fwiw, I get nearly double the answer you quote. 23m/s is very fast. The man will be seriously injured.

Related to Conservation of angular momentum

1. What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. In simpler terms, the total amount of rotational motion in a closed system does not change over time.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because of the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In a closed system, there are no external forces acting on the objects, so their rotational motion will remain constant.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular momentum?

The relationship between angular velocity and angular momentum is that they are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity of an object increases, its angular momentum also increases.

4. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to everyday objects?

Conservation of angular momentum applies to everyday objects in situations where there is no external torque acting on them. For example, a spinning top will continue to spin at a constant rate as long as there are no external forces acting on it.

5. What are some real-world applications of the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum has many real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles and machinery that require rotational motion. It is also important in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.