NUPOC versus Engineering Duty Officer

• Engineering
  • Thread starter reeder123456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker is a Civil Engineering student with a 3.8 GPA who is considering joining the Navy through either the NUPOC or SWO (EDO) programs. They are passionate about Civil Engineering but are open to other options due to the current economy. They have spoken to recruiters about both programs and believe that being a Naval Officer would provide valuable skills and knowledge for their civilian career. They are also considering pursuing a masters degree in Civil Engineering after their military service. They are seeking advice on which program would be most beneficial for a career in Civil Engineering.
reeder123456
I'm currently a Civil Engineering student with a 3.8 GPA about to enter my senior year. I originally applied to CEC and am waiting to here back. Civil Engineering Corps is my first pick but I know in this crazy economy I can't be to picky so NUPOC and SWO (EDO) options came up from my recruiter that I both qualify for. I am pretty passionate about Civil Engineering but like I mentioned I can't be too selective. I really enjoy physics and I know there is great bonuses to the NUPOC program (my school is already payed for so I fortunately don't need to utilize that bonus). I've talked to recruiters about some of the details for both programs. In either case I know would gain very valuable knowledge and skills by being a Naval Officer that always translates to the civilian world. After Nuc program I'd be able to work in the Nuclear Power industry pretty easily although the intense school for Nuc isn't technically a masters degree it is looked at equivalently to one. In EDO I believe that transfers directly to in the civilian world as managing a shipyard and the plus is you get an accredited masters in something like Naval/mechanical engineering. My question to anyone that knows or is in either program...what option would be most easily transferable to work in the Civil Engineering field if I did 6 years and got out? Obviously neither of them are directly civil but which program would benefit me most? I should add that I have unfortunately never had an internship and I have heard that can be brutal looking for a job with no experience. So the option of just being a civil engineer right off the bat is not likely. I'm wanting to get my feet wet in engineering through the military and pursuing a masters in civil after. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Related to NUPOC versus Engineering Duty Officer

1. What is the difference between NUPOC and Engineering Duty Officer?

NUPOC stands for Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate and is a program for individuals who are interested in becoming a nuclear engineer in the US Navy. Engineering Duty Officer (EDO) is a separate program for individuals who have already completed their active duty service and are interested in serving as an engineering officer in the US Navy.

2. How do I qualify for NUPOC or EDO?

To qualify for NUPOC, you must be a US citizen, have a bachelor's degree in a STEM field, and meet certain physical and security requirements. To qualify for EDO, you must have completed your active duty service and have a bachelor's or master's degree in a relevant engineering field.

3. What is the training process like for NUPOC and EDO?

NUPOC candidates go through an extensive training process, including Officer Candidate School and Nuclear Power School, before being assigned to a nuclear-powered submarine or aircraft carrier. EDOs also go through training, but it is focused on developing their skills as an engineering officer rather than nuclear engineering specifically.

4. Are there any career differences between NUPOC and EDO?

Both NUPOC and EDO offer challenging and rewarding careers in the US Navy. NUPOC officers primarily focus on the operation and maintenance of nuclear reactors, while EDOs have a broader range of responsibilities that can include managing and overseeing engineering projects, repairs, and maintenance on Navy ships and facilities.

5. Can I switch from NUPOC to EDO or vice versa?

It is possible for individuals to transition from NUPOC to EDO, however, it is a competitive process and not guaranteed. EDOs are also able to switch to other designators within the Navy if they meet the necessary requirements and qualifications. It is important to discuss your career goals and options with a recruiter or career counselor before making any decisions.