Number Theory - Find Remainder when dividing by 17

In summary, to find the remainder when dividing 3^24*5^13 by 17, you can break up the products and take the modulo 17 of each component separately. This results in a remainder of 19. Therefore, the answer will be the same when representing 3^24 and 5^13 as sums with 17 as a factor, rather than trying to calculate it directly.
mahk_lolita
Number Theory -- Find Remainder .. when dividing by 17

Homework Statement

Find the remainder when 3^24*5^13 is divided by 17.

Homework Equations

I know that 3^24 = 16 (mod 17)
and calculated that 5^13 mod 17 = 3 (mod 17)

The Attempt at a Solution

BUT, I'm completely unsure if I'm able to break up the products and take the modulo 17 of them separately.

What can I do? Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org

hey mahk lolita welcome to pf!

you should the information about the remainder of the componenents as follows
3^24 = a.17+16
5^13 = b.17+3
then
3^24*5^13 = (a.17+16)(b.17+3)

Thanks, lanedance!
With
(17a+16)(17b+3) = a sum whose parts have 17 as a factor... + 48 = 19 (mod 17.)

19 is the remainder.

So, I guess my question is, just to have a clear understanding, that you <i>can</i> split up the product? And by representing the number 3^24 and some sum (17a+16) and the same with 5^13, the answer will be the same? (Opposed to trying to calculate it directly with some powerful calculator.)

yep!

Related to Number Theory - Find Remainder when dividing by 17

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers. It involves the study of patterns, structures, and properties of numbers.

2. How do you find the remainder when dividing by 17?

To find the remainder when dividing by 17, you can use the mod operator (%) in most programming languages. This operator returns the remainder after dividing the first number by the second number. For example, if you divide 23 by 17, the remainder would be 6.

3. What is the significance of dividing by 17 in number theory?

The number 17 is a prime number, which means it is only divisible by 1 and itself. In number theory, prime numbers play a crucial role in understanding the properties of integers. Dividing by 17 can be used to identify certain patterns or characteristics of a given set of numbers.

4. Can you use a calculator to find the remainder when dividing by 17?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a mod function that can be used to find the remainder when dividing by 17. Some calculators may also have a remainder function specifically for this purpose.

5. How is finding the remainder when dividing by 17 useful?

Finding the remainder when dividing by 17 can be useful in various applications, such as cryptography, coding theory, and even in everyday life. It can help in identifying patterns in data, checking for errors in calculations, and solving certain mathematical problems.