Number of ways to place n numbers in a circle?

In summary, the student tried to solve the homework equation nk-1 but instead found a problem with the final position. They then created a method of solving the equation that involved counting chains and two recurrence relations.
Avichal

Homework Statement

In a circle we can place k numbers. The numbers can range from 1 to n. One position in the circle is fixed, say by 1. We have to place the other k-1 places with numbers in the range 1 to n such that no adjacent numbers are equal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the basic principle of counting and came up with the equation nk-1 but I guess that is wrong(upon playing with small values of n and k).

I want to come up with a general method to find the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Playing with a small example with values for n and k sounds like a good idea. How did you get to nk-1 based on that? Because thought it's wrong, it's close.

At every position there are n-1 things we can place. (n-1) because you can't put the same as the previous one.
So do this k-1 times and you get (n-1)^(k-1)...confused between (n-1)^(k-1) and n^(k-1) [Anyways both are wrong]

But I guess the problem is the last position. I have to take care of the previous as well as the upcoming position. So I think that is where I am going wrong.

Hope I make sense

Ok so you can do that k - 2 times. The last - (k - 1)th - one depends on whether number k - 2 is the same as number 1 or not.

Hmm, so I just need to find how many ways can you get to the (k-2)th position with number other than 1. Then that many ways multiplied by k is the answer?

Avichal said:
Hmm, so I just need to find how many ways can you get to the (k-2)th position with number other than 1. Then that many ways multiplied by k is the answer?
It's a bit more complicated than that. You can start by not worrying about collisions between the kth position and the first position, giving you (n-1)k-1. Now subtract off those where position k got the number 1. But in the cases where position k-1 got the number 1, you would not have counted patterns with position k getting 1 anyway, so now you've subtracted too much... You can repeat this process to arrive at a series that sums to the right answer.
A clearer way may be to think of the circle (having assigned number 1 to position 1) as a chain of length k+1, both endpoints having the number 1. There are n-1 ways to number position 2; each of these gives you a chain of length k (dropping position 1) but now the endpoints have different numbers. Assigning a number to position 3 can lead to either situation: a chain with endpoints numbered the same or differently. Can you see how to turn this into two recurrence relations involving two functions?

Related to Number of ways to place n numbers in a circle?

1. How many ways can n numbers be placed in a circle?

The number of ways to place n numbers in a circle is equal to (n-1)!. This is because the first number can be placed anywhere in the circle, but the rest of the numbers must be placed relative to the first number, resulting in (n-1) choices for the second number, (n-2) choices for the third number, and so on.

2. Does the order of the numbers matter when placing them in a circle?

Yes, the order of the numbers does matter when placing them in a circle. For example, placing the numbers 1, 2, and 3 in a circle in a clockwise order is different from placing them in a counterclockwise order.

3. Can numbers be repeated when placing them in a circle?

Yes, numbers can be repeated when placing them in a circle. For example, if there are only two numbers, they can be placed in the same spot in the circle resulting in only one way to arrange them.

4. Is there a maximum number of numbers that can be placed in a circle?

No, there is no maximum number of numbers that can be placed in a circle. However, as the number of numbers increases, the number of ways to arrange them also increases exponentially.

5. Can the same set of numbers be placed in a circle multiple times?

Yes, the same set of numbers can be placed in a circle multiple times. However, each placement will be considered a separate arrangement, resulting in a different number of ways to place the numbers in a circle.