Prove A contains all natural numbers ≥ n_0

In summary, the question asked if the set A contained all natural numbers greater than n_0, but the proof did not require that n_0 be the smallest natural number in the set.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

Prove that if a set A of natural numbers contains [itex]n_0[/itex] and contains k+1 whenever it contains k, then A contains all natural numbers ≥ [itex]n_0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just confused by the question, please don't answer it.

Logically it makes sense that if [itex]n_0[/itex] is in the set A, then [itex]n_0[/itex] can = k, and from there we see that the set contains all natural numbers larger than [itex]n_0[/itex] including [itex]n_0[/itex]

My question is, the way this question is worded, "then A contains all natural numbers ≥ [itex]n_0,[/itex]" this is not saying that the set A can't have natural numbers less than [itex]n_0[/itex] though, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if a set A of natural numbers contains [itex]n_0[/itex] and contains k+1 whenever it contains k, then A contains all natural numbers ≥ [itex]n_0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just confused by the question, please don't answer it.

Logically it makes sense that if [itex]n_0[/itex] is in the set A, then [itex]n_0[/itex] can = k, and from there we see that the set contains all natural numbers larger than [itex]n_0[/itex] including [itex]n_0[/itex]

My question is, the way this question is worded, "then A contains all natural numbers ≥ [itex]n_0[/itex]," this is not saying that the set A can't have natural numbers less than [itex]n_0[/itex] though, correct?
Correct.

The set may contain other natural numbers.

( You missed a [/itex] code after the ##n_0##.)

Likes r0bHadz
SammyS said:
Correct.

The set may contain other natural numbers.

( You missed a [/itex] code after the ##n_0##.)
Ah, gotcha. The way the question was worded just kinda threw me off. I guess the proof just involves a mention of [itex]n_0[/itex] and the well ordering principle

Is this proof sufficient:

Since [itex]n_0[/itex] is in the set, let's assume, by the well ordering principle that [itex]n_0[/itex] is the smallest natural number in the set.

Setting k=[itex]n_0[/itex] we now have [itex]n_0[/itex] and [itex]n_0 + 1 [/itex] in the set. If we let k = [itex] n_0 + 1 [/itex] then [itex] n_0 +2 [/itex] is also in the set.

It becomes oblivious that the set contains all numbers including and greater than [itex] n_0[/itex]

r0bHadz said:
Is this proof sufficient:

Since [itex]n_0[/itex] is in the set, let's assume, by the well ordering principle that [itex]n_0[/itex] is the smallest natural number in the set.

Setting k=[itex]n_0[/itex] we now have [itex]n_0[/itex] and [itex]n_0 + 1 [/itex] in the set. If we let k = [itex] n_0 + 1 [/itex] then [itex] n_0 +2 [/itex] is also in the set.

It becomes oblivious that the set contains all numbers including and greater than [itex] n_0[/itex]
As you concluded previously, there may be numbers in set A which are less than ##n_0## .

So, it's not correct to assume that ##n_0## is the smallest natural number in set A.

The form of the proof should be: Suppose natural number ##n_1 \geq n_0##. Then prove ##n_1 \in A##. It is not enough to just say that it is obvious. That may be true, but you should learn how to do a formal proof because there can be ugly surprises in things that look obvious.

Likes SammyS
SammyS said:
As you concluded previously, there may be numbers in set A which are less than ##n_0## .

So, it's not correct to assume that ##n_0## is the smallest natural number in set A.

Right but I thought in the context of this problem those numbers don't matter? The reason why I wrote to assume [itex]n_0[/itex] is the smallest is just to make the problem simpler. It's only asking me to prove that A contains all numbers equal to or greater than [itex] n_0[/itex] I don't see how numbers smaller than [itex]n_0[/itex] are relevant

FactChecker said:
The form of the proof should be: Suppose natural number ##n_1 \geq n_0##. Then prove ##n_1 \in A##. It is not enough to just say that it is obvious. That may be true, but you should learn how to do a formal proof because there can be ugly surprises in things that look obvious.

Gotcha I guess I'll have to work on it and report back

Last edited:

Related to Prove A contains all natural numbers ≥ n_0

What does it mean for A to contain all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0?

This means that every natural number that is greater than or equal to n0 is included in the set A. In other words, A is an infinite set that includes all numbers starting from n0 and going up.

How do you prove that A contains all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0?

To prove this, we can use the mathematical principle of induction. We can start by showing that n0 is in A. Then, we can assume that all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0 are in A and use this assumption to prove that the next natural number is also in A. This process can be repeated indefinitely, proving that all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0 are in A.

Why is it important to prove that A contains all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0?

This proof is important because it establishes the completeness of the set A. It shows that A is not missing any natural numbers starting from n0, making it a reliable and accurate representation of the set of natural numbers.

Can there be a set A that contains all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0 but is not infinite?

No, there cannot be such a set. By definition, the set of natural numbers is infinite and contains all numbers starting from 0. Therefore, any set that contains all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0 must also be infinite.

Are there any alternative ways to prove that A contains all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove this statement. One alternative is to use the well-ordering principle, which states that every non-empty set of natural numbers has a least element. By showing that A has a least element and that this element is greater than or equal to n0, we can prove that A contains all natural numbers greater than or equal to n0.