Number of pages returned in a search on PF

• Thread starter cianfa72
  • Start date
In summary, The PF search engine limits the number of pages returned to 17, with up to 30 results per page. This is a chosen limitation in the SQL database, but it is possible to retrieve more results by sorting and querying by date.
cianfa72
Hello,
I have a simple question. Doing a PF search (simple or advanced) the number of pages returned is up to 17.

Is there some limit/constraint in the PF searching engine ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cianfa72 said:
I have a simple question. Doing a PF search (simple or advanced) the number of pages returned is up to 17.
The search returns up to 500 results, 30 to a page ## \left \lfloor \frac {500}{30} \right \rfloor = 17 ##.

cianfa72 said:
Is there some limit/constraint in the PF searching engine ?
The messages are stored in a SQL database: the query is clearly LIMITed to 500 rows by choice.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, jim mcnamara, pinball1970 and 1 other person
If you want more than 500 results then sort the results by date and then do another query sorted by date with "older than" set to the day before the date of the last message on page 17.

Likes berkeman, cianfa72 and Wrichik Basu

Related to Number of pages returned in a search on PF

1. How do I determine the number of pages returned in a search on PF?

To determine the number of pages returned in a search on PF, you can simply look at the top of the search results page. It will display the total number of pages found, along with the current page you are on.

2. Can I change the number of pages displayed in a search on PF?

Yes, you can change the number of pages displayed in a search on PF. At the bottom of the search results page, there is a drop-down menu where you can select the number of results you want to see per page.

3. Why are there sometimes more or less pages returned in a search on PF?

The number of pages returned in a search on PF can vary depending on the search query and the number of results that match that query. It is also possible that some pages may have been removed or added since the last time the search results were updated.

4. Is the number of pages returned in a search on PF an accurate representation of all the content on the site?

No, the number of pages returned in a search on PF is not necessarily an accurate representation of all the content on the site. It only includes pages that match the search query and may not include all pages on the site.

5. How can I refine my search to get a more accurate number of pages returned on PF?

To refine your search and get a more accurate number of pages returned on PF, you can try using more specific keywords or filters. You can also adjust the search settings to only include certain types of content or to exclude certain terms.