Nullspace of matrix A and the nullspace of A^T*A

In summary, the conversation discussed proving that the nullspace of matrix A is a subset of the nullspace of A^T*A. The process involved using the properties of linear equations and showing that the set of solutions for Ax=0 is a subset of A^T*A. The conversation concluded with a humorous comment about math nerds being attractive.
iamzzz

Homework Statement

A is matrix m*n
show that nullspace of A is the subset of nullspace of A^T*A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried anything at all? The standard way to prove "X is a subset of Y" is start "If x is in X" and use the properties of X and Y to conclude "then x is in Y".

So suppose x is in the null space of A. What can you say about [itex]A^T Ax[/itex]?

I know Ax=0 and i guess A^T*A is also 0

iamzzz said:
I know Ax=0 and i guess A^T*A is also 0
You mean, you guess that AT*Ax is also 0, right? But why do you need to guess? If Ax = 0, you can easily prove AT*Ax = 0.

haruspex said:
You mean, you guess that AT*Ax is also 0, right? But why do you need to guess? If Ax = 0, you can easily prove AT*Ax = 0.

Done prove ?
So x is also in the nullspace of A^TA so done ? serioulsy ...

Last edited:
The set of all values of x such that Ax=0 is the Null space of A.
The set of all values of x such that (A^(T)*A)x=0 is the Null space of A^(T)*A
Since A^(T)*A is linear, (A^(T)*A)x = A^(T)*(Ax)
Therefore A^(T)*(Ax)=0
A^(T)*(0) = 0 - For all values of x such that Ax = 0 - Therefore the set of solutions to Ax=0 is a subset of A^(T)*A

Now just turn that into mathematical notation.

Last edited:
i love you guys thanks

iamzzz said:
i love you guys thanks

Yeah, all the babes dig the math nerds ;)

Related to Nullspace of matrix A and the nullspace of A^T*A

1. What is the nullspace of a matrix A?

The nullspace of a matrix A, also known as the kernel, is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by A result in the zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax = 0.

2. How is the nullspace of A related to the nullspace of A^T*A?

The nullspace of A is a subset of the nullspace of A^T*A. This means that all vectors in the nullspace of A will also be in the nullspace of A^T*A, but there may be additional vectors in the nullspace of A^T*A that are not in the nullspace of A.

3. What is the dimension of the nullspace of A?

The dimension of the nullspace of A is also known as the nullity of A, and it is equal to the number of free variables in the reduced row echelon form of A. In other words, it is the number of linearly independent vectors in the nullspace of A.

4. How can the nullspace of A be calculated?

The nullspace of A can be calculated by finding the reduced row echelon form of A and identifying the free variables. The free variables will correspond to the columns of the nullspace basis matrix, which can be multiplied by a scalar to generate all vectors in the nullspace of A.

5. Can the nullspace of A be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the nullspace of A to be empty. This will occur when the reduced row echelon form of A does not have any free variables, meaning that there are no linearly independent vectors that satisfy the homogeneous equation Ax = 0. This is also known as an inconsistent system of equations.