Nuclear Physics or Nuclear Engineer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a career as a nuclear physicist and a nuclear engineer, with the conclusion that a degree in nuclear engineering would be more beneficial for becoming a nuclear inspector. It is also mentioned that a PhD in nuclear physics may not be relevant for this career path. The conversation also touches on the job market in the nuclear field and the potential demand for nuclear professionals in countries with nuclear programs.
mbrian
Hey guys I had a quick question about working at a Nuclear Power Plant. I want to become one of the Nuclear inspectors but I don't know which degree to go for. Is it the Nuclear Engineer because I have been noticing that more when looking more into power plants. I was going to go for a PhD in Nuclear Physics but if that's not the right one then I kind of need to know. Any other information would be helpful as well. I was also looking to Intern at Palo Verde in AZ. Any help with what I should do to get me ready or classes I should take?

Thanks,
Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear engineer would probably be easier, though both would provide at least qualification for many entry level inspector jobs.

Nuclear Engineering!

I did my PhD in nuclear physics. Getting a PhD in nuclear physics has zero correlation with what you want to do.

So I should go with nuclear engineering then I'm guessing?

I was considering the same career path. What exacly is the difference between the careers of a nuclear (experimental) physicist/engineer? I've heard that experimental physicists often work as supervisors with engineers when they get jobs in industry. Is that the case in the nuclear field or are the experimentalists on an r and d team? It seems like a lot of the research has actually been done and there's mostly a lot of engineering questions (but I'm just an undergraduate physics student, not a nuclear engineer)

bcrowell, maybe you can answer my questions better than anyone else.

How's the job market in the nuclear field? I know you need to move to whatever country actually has nuclear program. Is there a lot of demand in those countries?

Related to Nuclear Physics or Nuclear Engineer?

What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of atomic nuclei, which are the central cores of atoms.

What is the difference between nuclear physics and nuclear engineering?

Nuclear physics is a theoretical and experimental science that focuses on understanding the fundamental principles of atomic nuclei. On the other hand, nuclear engineering applies this knowledge to practical applications, such as energy production and medical imaging.

What are the potential benefits of nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy has the potential to provide a reliable and abundant source of electricity, with lower carbon emissions compared to fossil fuels. It can also be used in medicine for diagnostic imaging and cancer treatment.

What are the potential risks of nuclear energy?

The main risks associated with nuclear energy are related to the management of nuclear waste and the potential for accidents or disasters, which can release harmful radiation into the environment. However, modern safety regulations and technology have greatly reduced these risks.

What are some current research topics in nuclear physics and engineering?

Some current research topics in nuclear physics and engineering include the development of advanced nuclear reactors, fusion energy, and the study of exotic nuclear states. Additionally, there is ongoing research on nuclear waste management and nuclear safety to improve the sustainability and safety of nuclear energy.