MS in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics question

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a master's degree in Nuclear Engineering specializing in Nuclear System Physics but has concerns about potential career paths. They have also considered an MS in Engineering Physics with a focus on Nano-physics and Nanotechnology but are unsure due to the amount of optics-related courses. They are seeking advice on which program to choose.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, PF, this should be my 5th post or something here in "Academic Guidance" (I changed my mind a lot in few months :biggrin:, but now I really need to decide:nb):nb))

I'm considering to go for an MS in Nuclear Engineering that specializes in Nuclear System Physics (https://www4.ceda.polimi.it/manifes..._pj0=0&__pj1=21ede1a46bf2b063eab368d1eb66b44a if you want to look at the courses). I talked to professors and all and it seems I'm ok, but I have one question that they seem to avoid answering to:

What can I do if I do not what to work in nuclear plants and with medical stuff (radiation therapy)?

I like to study physics, but I don't think I can handle MS in physics given my background and I also like to look at "application" along the way, so Nuclear Engineering seems a pretty good for me. I really do not want to work in plants and related stuff... I don't know what I want to do in the future, but I can say that right now I'm attracted to/fascinated by material with unusual properties. The professor I've spoken with said Nuclear Engineering could be an option, but he remained a bit vague.

I've also considered an MS in Engineering Physics that specializes in "Nano-physics and Nanotechnology" (https://www4.ceda.polimi.it/manifes...OffertaInvisibile=false&semestre=ALL_SEMESTRI) but they said I would have to take extra courses and it seems very optic-oriented (too much for me - I don't know anything about optic and lasers).

I really can't decide because, to be honest, I think I would like to do "something in between". I'd be very happy if you could give me any kind of advice to help me decide.

Thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really are not interested in work related to nuclear plants, I can't see any reason to study nuclear engineering.

Because there are only 2/3 courses about nuclear plants and the rest of the courses seem pretty generic. I know I won't enjoy studying for those courses, but I will find 2/3 course I don't like in every major, I think!

Related to MS in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics question

1. What is the difference between MS in Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics?

The main difference between MS in Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics is the focus of the curriculum. Nuclear Engineering focuses specifically on the application of nuclear energy, while Engineering Physics covers a broader range of topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with an MS in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics?

There is a growing demand for professionals with a background in nuclear energy and technology, especially in fields such as nuclear power generation, national defense, and medical imaging. Graduates with an MS in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics can find employment in research labs, government agencies, and private companies.

3. What are the core courses in an MS in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics program?

The core courses for an MS in Nuclear Engineering program typically include nuclear reactor theory, radiation detection and measurement, and nuclear materials. In an Engineering Physics program, the core courses may include mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, as well as specialized courses in areas such as nuclear physics and engineering.

4. Is a background in engineering or physics necessary for an MS in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics?

While a background in engineering or physics is not mandatory, it can be beneficial for students to have a strong foundation in these subjects. The curriculum of these programs is highly technical and requires a strong understanding of mathematics, science, and engineering principles.

5. What are the research opportunities available in an MS in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics program?

Both MS in Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics programs offer opportunities for research projects and thesis work. Students can work on projects related to nuclear energy, materials science, or other areas of interest. These research opportunities allow students to gain hands-on experience and contribute to the advancement of the field.