Nuclear Engineer - job description

In summary, if you are interested in doing the equations and math, there may be a place for you as a nuclear engineer. There are also opportunities as a power engineer, depending on your skills and preferences.
aid
Hi there,

I've been wondering for some time what the nuclear engineer job exactly looks like.

I am particulary interested in one question: is there a place in the field of nuclear engineering for guys who would rather do the math and equations than build anything? Are there jobs for power engineers that require little or no practical work at all (and by practical I mean involving, e.g., designing and building stuff as opposed to, e.g., proposing theoretical models)?

Hope you won't find the question silly; I would be very grateful for any answers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
aid said:
Hi there,

I've been wondering for some time what the nuclear engineer job exactly looks like.

I am particulary interested in one question: is there a place in the field of nuclear engineering for guys who would rather do the math and equations than build anything? Are there jobs for power engineers that require little or no practical work at all (and by practical I mean involving, e.g., designing and building stuff as opposed to, e.g., proposing theoretical models)?

Hope you won't find the question silly; I would be very grateful for any answers.
Basically computational physics/mechanics or multiphysics simulation involves a lot of computational work or analysis, but essentially no design work. One can find plenty of opportunity in those areas. The people who develop the computational methods, e.g., core design (neutronics or reactor physics) codes, thermal hydraulics codes, including CFD, for core and primary/secondary circuits, and thermo-mechanical (FEA) codes for various components and systems do mostly model development and numerical analysis.

See - http://rpd.ans.org/ and http://thd.ans.org/

http://www.studsvikscandpower.com/
http://www.csai.com/

or see the vendor sites for AREVA, Westinghouse, GEH/GNF, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Utilities need a small number of analytical types in the central office to interface with analytical types from NRC and fuel suppliers.

I was a power plant guy.
If you are the hands-on type who changes his own oil and sparkplugs you would like plant work.

old jim

Related to Nuclear Engineer - job description

What is a nuclear engineer?

A nuclear engineer is a professional who specializes in the design, development, and maintenance of nuclear power plants, reactors, and other nuclear facilities. They use their knowledge of physics, mathematics, and engineering principles to ensure the safe and efficient operation of these facilities.

What are the job responsibilities of a nuclear engineer?

The job responsibilities of a nuclear engineer may vary depending on their specific role and industry. However, some common tasks include designing nuclear power plant components, conducting safety assessments, monitoring and troubleshooting equipment, and overseeing the handling and disposal of nuclear materials.

What skills are required to become a nuclear engineer?

To become a nuclear engineer, one must have strong technical skills in areas such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. They must also possess critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as well as attention to detail and strong communication skills. Additionally, knowledge of nuclear regulations and safety protocols is essential.

What education and training is needed to become a nuclear engineer?

Most nuclear engineers hold a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related field. Some positions may require a master's degree or additional certifications. On-the-job training is also common, as each facility and project may have specific protocols and procedures.

What is the job outlook for nuclear engineers?

The job outlook for nuclear engineers is expected to remain steady in the coming years, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. This is slightly lower than the average growth rate for all occupations, but there will still be opportunities for those with the necessary education and skills.