Getting a job in Nuclear Engineering

In summary, a student is pursuing a 3-2 program in Physics and Nuclear engineering, spending 3 years at West Chester University and 2 years at Penn State University Park. They will obtain a B.S. in Physics and a Minor in Mathematics from West Chester University and a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering from Penn State. Concerns about the job opportunities and prestige of the program are addressed, with advice given to pursue internships and continue networking to secure a job in the field. The importance of joining societies and investing in one's career is also emphasized.
adg5151
Hello everyone,

So I am doing a 3-2 program in Physics and Nuclear engineering. I spent my first 3 years at West chester university and am about to spend my next 2 at Penn State University Park. When its all said and done I will have a B.S. in Physics and a Minor in Mathematics from West Chester University and a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering from Penn state. I have heard that nuclear engineering is fairly specialized and will limit job opportunities but I am wondering if this is actually true. Does anyone have experience with a degree in Nuclear engineering? Will I have trouble getting a job with these degrees? Also I expect to have both gpas over or around a 3.5 and an internship next summer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
adg5151 said:
Hello everyone,

So I am doing a 3-2 program in Physics and Nuclear engineering. I spent my first 3 years at West chester university and am about to spend my next 2 at Penn State University Park. When its all said and done I will have a B.S. in Physics and a Minor in Mathematics from West Chester University and a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering from Penn state. I have heard that nuclear engineering is fairly specialized and will limit job opportunities but I am wondering if this is actually true. Does anyone have experience with a degree in Nuclear engineering? Will I have trouble getting a job with these degrees? Also I expect to have both gpas over or around a 3.5 and an internship next summer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Most engineering disciplines are specialized to some extent, and even within a particular discpline, one specializes further. Ideally, with a physics and nuclear engineering BS degrees, one will be fairly flexible.

Any competent engineer will have no problem find a job. The demand for good engineers is high, and the better the engineer, the greater the demand.

Knowing how to solve problems, particularly complex problems in nuclear reactor physics, fuel and material thermo-mechanical behavior, heat transfer (particularly conjugate heat transfer), thermal hydraulics, etc will ensure employment.

Most of my colleagues in my nuclear engineering undergrad program went into other related fields in energy (including power systems) or materials. Many obtained advanced degress, MS or PhD, before going to industry, government lab, or military.

I think the best thing you can do is the internship. If you show intelligence & a good work ethic there you greatly improve the likelihood of being hired.

Most (?) nuclear engineering grads work for the utility companies (at the plants, in reactor engineering or in the fuels engineering groups) or for the reactor vendors. All of these companies are loaded with people ready to retire now. The reactor vendors hired a lot of new people in the past 4-5 years, they may be slower to hire right now. That could change in a year or two. I think the utilities are almost always looking for new people.

Go for the internship and keep an open mind about relocating.

Amen to the internship.

Power plants have one reactor surrounded by myriads of motors and valves and instruments.

I'd suggest you squeeze in a course in feedback control systems, one in basic electronics, and one in AC machinery. These will make you more at home in a power plant should you decide to work for a utility.

Best of luck old jim

Thanks for the advice. I just am slightly worried about job possibilities but it seems I should not be if I stay on path. Does anyone know how penn state stacks up against other schools regarding nuclear engineering? I have heard it is good but I think it has fallen in recent years in the US News and World Report rankings and just want to know if it still has any prestige. Also, the last thing is regarding grad school if I decide to go that route. What is more beneficial toward getting a job in industry, M.S or M.Eng in Nuclear Engineering (I don't want to get a PhD) and how long do masters programs normally take?

adg5151 said:
Thanks for the advice. I just am slightly worried about job possibilities but it seems I should not be if I stay on path. Does anyone know how penn state stacks up against other schools regarding nuclear engineering? I have heard it is good but I think it has fallen in recent years in the US News and World Report rankings and just want to know if it still has any prestige. Also, the last thing is regarding grad school if I decide to go that route. What is more beneficial toward getting a job in industry, M.S or M.Eng in Nuclear Engineering (I don't want to get a PhD) and how long do masters programs normally take?
I'd go with the MS, and that usually takes 2 years beyond a BS degree. PSU has reasonably good program, and I encounter some engineers from there.

And I know the Chair of the NE program.

I'm currently a nuclear engineering student that has worked one internship with a utility and is currently interning at a reactor vendor. Get an internship if you can! It's a great foot in the door, but never stop networking.

All engineers need to learn to make an investment in their jobs by turning them into a career! Students who do that by joining societies in their fields early on are able to get internships much easier! Don't worry about job opportunities, if you're a good nukey you'll get a good job.

Thermalne said:
I'm currently a nuclear engineering student that has worked one internship with a utility and is currently interning at a reactor vendor. Get an internship if you can! It's a great foot in the door, but never stop networking.

All engineers need to learn to make an investment in their jobs by turning them into a career! Students who do that by joining societies in their fields early on are able to get internships much easier! Don't worry about job opportunities, if you're a good nukey you'll get a good job.
Networking is really important - especially for getting one's name out there in the industry.

www.ans.org - within ANS there are various Technical Divisions. Some offer scholarships. There is also the ANS Student Conference every year around March/April.

http://www.new.ans.org/pi/edu/students/careers/

Get involved through the university. Most NE programs have an ANS student chapter.

good advice as always from astronuc

besides ANS, look into NA YGN.

Related to Getting a job in Nuclear Engineering

1. What qualifications do I need to have to become a nuclear engineer?

In order to become a nuclear engineer, you will typically need to have a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or physics. Some employers may also require a master's degree or a Ph.D. in nuclear engineering. Additionally, most states require nuclear engineers to be licensed as professional engineers.

2. What skills are important for a career in nuclear engineering?

Some important skills for a career in nuclear engineering include strong mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and strong communication skills. It is also important to have a good understanding of nuclear physics, thermodynamics, and other related subjects.

3. What types of jobs are available in the field of nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineers can work in a variety of industries, including power generation, nuclear medicine, nuclear waste management, and national defense. Some common job titles for nuclear engineers include reactor engineer, radiation protection engineer, and nuclear safety engineer.

4. How can I gain experience in nuclear engineering?

Many universities offer internships or co-op programs that allow students to gain hands-on experience in the field of nuclear engineering. You can also look for opportunities to work as a research assistant or participate in research projects related to nuclear engineering. Additionally, attending conferences and networking with professionals in the field can help you gain valuable experience and make connections.

5. What are the job prospects and salary potential for nuclear engineers?

The job outlook for nuclear engineers is expected to be stable in the coming years, with a projected employment growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029. The median annual salary for nuclear engineers was $113,460 in May 2020, with the top 10% earning more than $179,430 per year. Salaries may vary based on education, experience, and industry.