Nth derivative Fourier transform property

In summary, the student is trying to find the Fourier transform of sgn(t)f(t), but is having trouble understanding how to do it. They found the Fourier transform for t*f(t) using another property, and that simplified the problem.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am given f(t) = e^-|t| and I found that F(w) = ##\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\frac{1}{w^2 + 1}##

The question says to use the nth derivative property of the Fourier transform to find the Fourier transform of sgn(t)f(t), and gives a hint: "take the derivative of e^-|t|"

I also found the Fourier transform for t*f(t) using another property, but this part has me stumped.

Homework Equations

sgn(t) =
1 for t>0
0 for t=0
-1 for t<0

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of e^-|t|, and got ##\frac{-te^{-|t|}}{|t|}##

But I'm not quite sure how I can use that result, combined with the nth derivative property, to find the F.T. of sgn(t)f(t). I plotted f(t), f'(t) and sgn(t)f(t), but I'm struggling to see the link between them that can help me solve this one... any guidance would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:

Homework Statement

I am given f(t) = e^-|t| and I found that F(w) = ##\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\frac{1}{w^2 + 1}##

The question says to use the nth derivative property of the Fourier transform to find the Fourier transform of sgn(t)f(t), and gives a hint: "take the derivative of e^-|t|"

I also found the Fourier transform for t*f(t) using another property, but this part has me stumped.

Homework Equations

sgn(t) =
1 for t>0
0 for t=0
-1 for t<0

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of e^-|t|, and got ##\frac{-te^{-|t|}}{|t|}##

But I'm not quite sure how I can use that result, combined with the nth derivative property, to find the F.T. of sgn(t)f(t). I plotted f(t), f'(t) and sgn(t)f(t), but I'm struggling to see the link between them that can help me solve this one... any guidance would be welcome.

You do know that ##\frac{t}{|t|}=sgn(t)##, right? Aside from the issue of the left hand side not being defined at ##t=0##, but that ambiguity doesn't matter for a Fourier transform.

Last edited:
I definitely did not realize that... derp. That simplifies things. Thank you!

Related to Nth derivative Fourier transform property

1. What is the Nth derivative Fourier transform property?

The Nth derivative Fourier transform property is a mathematical property that relates the Fourier transform of a function to its Nth derivative. It states that the Fourier transform of the Nth derivative of a function is equal to the original function multiplied by the Nth power of the frequency variable.

2. How is the Nth derivative Fourier transform property used in science?

The Nth derivative Fourier transform property is used in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in analyzing signals and solving differential equations.

3. What is the significance of the Nth derivative Fourier transform property?

The Nth derivative Fourier transform property is significant because it allows us to easily analyze the frequency components of a signal or function by taking its derivatives. This property also helps in simplifying complex mathematical calculations in various applications.

4. Can the Nth derivative Fourier transform property be generalized for higher order derivatives?

Yes, the Nth derivative Fourier transform property can be generalized for higher order derivatives, such as the second, third, or fourth derivative. This is known as the generalized Nth derivative Fourier transform property.

5. Are there any limitations to the Nth derivative Fourier transform property?

One limitation of the Nth derivative Fourier transform property is that it assumes the function is continuously differentiable. In cases where the function is not differentiable or has discontinuities, this property may not hold true. Additionally, this property may not be applicable to functions with infinite or rapidly increasing derivatives.