Now, what does that give you in this problem?

In summary, If integers a and b are such that a-b-2=kn_o, and j is an integer such that k=jn_i, then a^2+4b-b^2=4.
scorpius1782

Homework Statement

For any integers a and b and any positive integers k and j, if ##a \equiv 2-b \pmod{k}## and ##j \mid k##, then ##a^2 + 4b - b^2 \equiv 4 \pmod{j}##

Homework Equations

##x \equiv y\pmod{q}## then q|x-y

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this would probably be straight forward and easy. But I got stuck a couple steps in:

if ##a \equiv 2-b \pmod{k}## then ##k \mid a-2-b## and ##a-b-2=kn_o## (where ##n_o## is some integer). Also, if ##j \mid k## then ##k=jn_i## (where ##n_i## is an integer).

(magic)

I know that finally my answer should look like ##a^2 + 4b - b^2 \equiv 4 \pmod{j}## which is equivalent to ##a^2+4b-b^2-4=jn_x##

I'm having trouble with the magic part. I know since ##k=jn_i## I can rewrite ##a-b-2=kn_o## as ##a-b-2=jn_in_o## and then replace ##n_o n_i## with ##n##. But I don't see what I should do next. It seems to me that the ##a-b-2## should get squared but I end up with too many a's when I do so. Anyway, I don't yet see the reasoning behind squaring the value to begin with.

If anyone has a suggestion for this I'd be very appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
scorpius1782 said:

Homework Statement

For any integers a and b and any positive integers k and j, if ##a \equiv 2-b \pmod{k}## and ##j \mid k##, then ##a^2 + 4b - b^2 \equiv 4 \pmod{j}##

Homework Equations

##x \equiv y\pmod{q}## then q|x-y

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this would probably be straight forward and easy. But I got stuck a couple steps in:

if ##a \equiv 2-b \pmod{k}## then ##k \mid a-2-b## and ##a-b-2=kn_o## (where ##n_o## is some integer). Also, if ##j \mid k## then ##k=jn_i## (where ##n_i## is an integer).

(magic)

I know that finally my answer should look like ##a^2 + 4b - b^2 \equiv 4 \pmod{j}## which is equivalent to ##a^2+4b-b^2-4=jn_x##

I'm having trouble with the magic part. I know since ##k=jn_i## I can rewrite ##a-b-2=kn_o## as ##a-b-2=jn_in_o## and then replace ##n_o n_i## with ##n##. But I don't see what I should do next. It seems to me that the ##a-b-2## should get squared but I end up with too many a's when I do so. Anyway, I don't yet see the reasoning behind squaring the value to begin with.

If anyone has a suggestion for this I'd be very appreciative.

Start with ##a + b -2 \equiv 0 \pmod{k}##, which also implies ##a + b -2 \equiv 0 \pmod{j}##. (call this equation 1)

Square both sides. Rearrange and manipulate until you have the exact expression you need to arrive at on the LHS. You will need to add ##a^2## to both sides at one point. Now factorise the expression on the RHS. Using equation 1, you should be able to simplify this immediately to get the required result.

I didn't think we could move the b-2 over like that in these congruence problems. Our instructor made it quite clear that we couldn't treat the equivalence symbol as an equals sign.

scorpius1782 said:
I didn't think we could move the b-2 over like that in these congruence problems. Our instructor made it quite clear that we couldn't treat the equivalence symbol as an equals sign.

You cannot treat it *exactly* like an equals sign, but most arithmetic operations can be performed the same way over the modular equivalence.

You're clearly already familiar with this (from your earlier post): If ##x \equiv y\pmod{q}## then ##q \mid (x-y)##.

The second statement is equivalent to saying ##x - y \equiv 0 \pmod{q}## (because the remainder on dividing (x-y) by q is zero iff q divides (x-y)). Hence, you could just as easily have rearranged the first statement to get to the second statement.

That's all I'm doing here. It's completely valid.

The only operation that doesn't carry over neatly to modular arithmetic is division. You cannot simply divide both sides of an equivalence relation like you can in normal algebra. But there is a workaround called the multiplicative modular inverse which you can read about.

I think I may have found another way while I was thinking about your method. But it hinges on my being able to square ##a \equiv b (mod k)## at the beginning. I would say something like
if ##a \equiv 2-b ##(mod k) then ##a^2 \equiv (2-b)^2## (mod k).

This should be true since it still follows that ##k \mid a^2-(b-2)^2##

I don't think I have to square the k as well.

scorpius1782 said:
I think I may have found another way while I was thinking about your method. But it hinges on my being able to square ##a \equiv b (mod k)## at the beginning. I would say something like
if ##a \equiv 2-b ##(mod k) then ##a^2 \equiv (2-b)^2## (mod k).

This should be true since it still follows that ##k \mid a^2-(b-2)^2##

I don't think I have to square the k as well.

Yes, this leads to a quicker solution. No, you shouldn't square the k as well. When in doubt always go back to what the congruence means.

If ##x \equiv y \pmod{k}##, that means ##x = mk + y##, where m is an integer. So ##x^2 = m^2k^2 + 2mky + y^2##. If you take that expression modulo k, you can ignore all terms with k in them, giving ##x^2 \equiv y^2 \pmod{k}##.

Related to Now, what does that give you in this problem?

What is modulus arithmetic proof?

Modulus arithmetic proof is a method of proving mathematical statements using the concept of congruence. It involves using the modulus operator, denoted by the symbol %, to represent the remainder after division. This allows for simplification of complex equations and the ability to prove statements using only integers.

What are the basic rules of modulus arithmetic?

The basic rules of modulus arithmetic include:

• The modulus operator % can only be used with integers.
  • The result of a modulus operation is always an integer between 0 and the divisor.
  • The modulus of a number is the same as the remainder after division.
  • For any two integers a and b, a % b is equivalent to a - (b * (a/b)).

How is modulus arithmetic used in proofs?

Modulus arithmetic is used in proofs to show that two integers are congruent to each other. This means that they have the same remainder after division by a certain number, known as the modulus. By using the rules of modulus arithmetic, we can simplify equations and manipulate them to prove congruence.

What are some common applications of modulus arithmetic?

Modulus arithmetic has many practical applications, including:

• Cryptography: Modulus arithmetic is used in encryption algorithms to secure data and communications.
  • Computer programming: Modulus is used to perform operations on integers, such as determining if a number is even or odd.
  • Number theory: Modulus arithmetic is used to solve problems in number theory, such as finding solutions to Diophantine equations.

Are there any limitations to modulus arithmetic?

Yes, there are some limitations to modulus arithmetic. It can only be used with integers and is not applicable to real or complex numbers. Additionally, division by 0 is undefined in modulus arithmetic. It is also important to note that the modulus operator has a higher precedence than addition, subtraction, and multiplication, which can sometimes lead to unexpected results in equations.