Now, truly in retrospect, was John Kerry the best choice for the Democrats?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the conversation discusses the Democratic nomination and whether John Kerry was the best choice for the party. The alternatives, such as Howard Dean and John Edwards, are also brought up and discussed. The conversation also touches on the possibility of attracting more moderate Republicans to the Democratic party and the role of charisma in the election. Some individuals express their support for other candidates, such as Joe Lieberman and Wesley Clark, and discuss their opinions on Kerry's political views. Overall, the conversation highlights the various factors that may have influenced the outcome of the election and the role of different candidates in the Democratic party.

Who would have been the best choice for the Democrats?

• Total voters
wasteofo2
Now that all's been said and done, and no one has any pressure to over-exagerate John Kerry to try to help him get elected, or demonize him in hopes of him losing, I pose this question again:

Was John Kerry the best choice for the Democratic nomination?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what were the alternatives? Dean would have been even more of a deer in the headlights, and came on just as elitist and northeastern. The others were all in one way or another Johnny One-notes. I would have said Edwards, but I think his wife's cancer took him out of play as it was; just imagine if he'd been the candidate!

selfAdjoint said:
Well, what were the alternatives? Dean would have been even more of a deer in the headlights, and came on just as elitist and northeastern. The others were all in one way or another Johnny One-notes. I would have said Edwards, but I think his wife's cancer took him out of play as it was; just imagine if he'd been the candidate!
Dean really came off as an elitist to you?

I'm friends with a guy in Texas, and he and all his friends voted for Bush. These guys are classic Texans, they drive pickup trucks, they know carpentry, they love ZZ Top more than any other band, the own several guns etc. However, in the beginning, him and lots of his friends were pulling for Howard Dean to win, and would have voted for him over Bush.

Why, you ask, would someone choose Howard Dean over Bush, but Bush over Kerry?

Howard Dean seemed like a real guy who really cared about helping people, and who really believed in what he talked about. These guys all felt like they could relate to Howard Dean. They also felt that they could relate to Bush more than Kerry. Plus, they were more likely to listen to criticism of a guy they related to (Bush), from another guy they related to (Dean), than they would from a guy they didn't relate to at all (Kerry).

I voted for Leiberman, because he's the Democrat I liked the most. Realistically, Kerry was the best realistic hope for winning.

Maybe the Democrats ought to lure in some of the more moderate Republicans. Not a totally unrealistic thought. Aside from the traditional Democratic social issues, which they tended to downplay, their party platform was much more conservative than one tends to think of Democrats and the Republican Party platform swung drastically to the right, as well, even going so far as to include a section co-written by Haley Barbour ("Protecting Our Families"). If Specter is denied his Chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee, maybe he could be the Dem's first recruit (his nickname is "RINO", afterall).

Of course, maybe that's part of the problem. Kerry and the Democratic Party tended to be seen as 'chasing' the mood of the nation while the Republicans' historical stance was already there (even if their current stance had moved).

BobG said:
I voted for Leiberman, because he's the Democrat I liked the most. Realistically, Kerry was the best realistic hope for winning.

I disagree, Kerry's was too far "Left" for moderates. Conservatives unhappy with Bush took a look at Kerry and saw an extremely liberal record which pushed them back to Bush.

Leiberman would have got the same amount of Democrat votes and a few more of the "undecided". Leiberman might have won.

kawikdx225 said:
I disagree, Kerry's was too far "Left" for moderates. Conservatives unhappy with Bush took a look at Kerry and saw an extremely liberal record which pushed them back to Bush.

Leiberman would have got the same amount of Democrat votes and a few more of the "undecided". Leiberman might have won.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Leiberman got 5% in the Democratic primaries in his HOME STATE. He had no charisma, and he's Jewish.

I think you seriously underestimate the amount of anti-semitism that still exists in America. If Leiberman were the candidate, I'd be surprised if he got 3/4 the popular votes Kerry did, and the electoral college, forget it...

I only really learned about john kerry after he was chosen, and he obviously was not the best choice. I considered voting John Edwards but instead threw my vote to Sharpton because he is a great public speaker and he would have gotten a lot of minority votes.

wasteofo2 said:
Now that all's been said and done, and no one has any pressure to over-exagerate John Kerry to try to help him get elected, or demonize him in hopes of him losing, I pose this question again:

Was John Kerry the best choice for the Democratic nomination?

Kerry was acceptable. That's all. Of course given the competition, Bozo the clown would have been acceptable. I don't know if any other likely Democratic candidates would have been any better. I think Kerry is a good and smart man who does what he thinks is right. He also understands the genuine threat to America posed by the Bush machine. That was good enough for me.

I would not have tended to support any of the candidates listed given a viable Republican alternative. The Democrats really need to find some leaders. The Republicans need to throw out the Nazis.

I should add that I actually toned things down for the election. I had desparately hoped that the information would speak for itself. Stupid me!

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Of course given the competition, Bozo the clown would have been acceptable...
You mean this guy?
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/bush_bozo.jpg

BoulderHead said:
You mean this guy?
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/bush_bozo.jpg

:smile: :smile: :smile:
That's about right.

I was REALLY behind Wes Clarke- he would have been perfect- but he just wasn't ready- he need sto work on his presentation and his bearing-

kawikdx225 said:

Yeah. I hate Bush. But I'm far more afraid of Kerry.

Kerry had a very hard time communicating, especially with rural & southern people obviously. Also, being a senator is dangerous because you have a voting record that can easily be exploited-- I think the last guy to go from Senate to the Presidency was Kennedy. I didn't find him inconsistant or dangerous or unqualified, but he had the problem that GHW Bush had in 1992- unresponsive to attacks, and unwilling to use much of the very deadly ammunition he had at his disposal (i.e. exploiting Abu Graib). I'm afraid that the alternatives to Kerry were somewhat ambiguous-- Dean would've run out of gas quickly, Ghephardt had a narrow but possibly effective appeal to middle-class, Edwards could be tarred as an inexperienced con-man, and Lieberman--- don't get me started. I mean, come on.
If you take out the candidates' names & vote strictly on the issues, it was Kucinich who would've won the nomination; think I saw that on a website somewhere; so that's who I chose.

Related to Now, truly in retrospect, was John Kerry the best choice for the Democrats?

What qualifications did John Kerry have that made him a strong candidate for the Democrats?

John Kerry had a long career in politics, serving as a senator for over 25 years and as the chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He also had military experience, having served in the Vietnam War and receiving multiple awards for his service.

What were some of the major issues that John Kerry campaigned on?

John Kerry campaigned on a platform of healthcare reform, job creation, and environmental protection. He also focused on national security and promised to end the war in Iraq.

How did John Kerry's campaign differ from previous Democratic nominees?

John Kerry's campaign focused heavily on his military experience and his plan for national security, which was a departure from previous Democratic nominees who tended to focus more on domestic issues.

What were some of the criticisms against John Kerry during his campaign?

Some of the criticisms against John Kerry included his voting record in the Senate, accusations of flip-flopping on issues, and his lack of a clear and concise message. He was also criticized for not being as charismatic as his opponent, George W. Bush.

In what ways did John Kerry's campaign impact the Democratic party and future elections?

John Kerry's campaign brought attention to the importance of national security and the need for a strong military presence. It also highlighted the divisions within the Democratic party on issues such as the war in Iraq. His loss in the election led to a re-evaluation of the party's strategies and messaging for future elections.