Novice Problem for Final Velocity

In summary, a lab was performed where students rolled an initially stationary cart down a ramp 1.84m long in 1.15s. The final velocity of the cart is 3.2m/s. The formula used was Vf^2=Vi^2+2aΔx. The acceleration can be found using a=v/t.
PhysicsAdvice
1. A lab was performed where students roller an initially stationary cart down a ramp 1.84m long. It took 1.15s to roll off the end of the ramp. What is the final velocity of the cart?
vi=0m/s, D=1.84m, t=1.15s vf=?

2. Vav=d/t, Vav= (vi+vf)/2

3. Vav= 1.84m/1.15s=1.6m/s 2Vav-vi=vf, 2(1.6m/s)-0=vf, therefore vf= 3.2m/s

Sorry for wasting everyone's time with this novice problem, however, if this was firstly correct, and secondly the easiest way of finding final velocity. My textbook states a different answer and I was wondering if I made an error or if it was mistaken. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple:
[tex]
V_{f}^2 = V_{i}^2 + 2 a \Delta x
[/tex]

so to find acceleration would I need to find delta velocity and then just use a=v/t?

Related to Novice Problem for Final Velocity

1. What is a novice problem for final velocity?

A novice problem for final velocity is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the final velocity of an object using basic kinematic equations. These problems are often given to students who are just beginning to learn about motion and are designed to test their understanding of the concepts involved.

2. How do you solve a novice problem for final velocity?

To solve a novice problem for final velocity, you need to identify the known values and the unknown value using the given information. Then, you can use the appropriate kinematic equation to solve for the final velocity. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given scenario.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving novice problems for final velocity?

Some common mistakes when solving novice problems for final velocity include using the wrong formula, forgetting to convert units, and not considering the direction of motion. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check your calculations to avoid these errors.

4. How can I practice solving novice problems for final velocity?

You can practice solving novice problems for final velocity by working through textbook problems, online quizzes, or creating your own practice problems. It is also helpful to review the concepts and equations involved in these types of problems to build a strong foundation.

5. What are some real-life applications of novice problems for final velocity?

Novice problems for final velocity have many real-life applications, such as calculating the final velocity of a car after accelerating from a stop, determining the speed of a projectile, or finding the velocity of a rollercoaster at the end of a drop. These types of problems help us understand and predict the motion of objects in the world around us.