Not the best at math, but love physics

In summary, it sounds like you're undecided about what to do with your life. You like astrophysics, but you're not very good at math, so you're considering whether or not to get a PhD in physics. You should definitely consider it, but you should also work on your math skills first.
ezarhadden
Okay so I'm at the point in my life where I'm deciding what I want to do. And the one thing I REALLY want to do is... Astrophysics, the problem is right now I'm not that good at math right now. I kinda like math though. I fooled around a lot in school so I never really payed attention for math and stuff, so what should I do? On my free time I look at astrophysics for fun and love it, its probably the only thing I want to do cause I love it. So what do you think I should do? Is getting a PHD in physics that hard? Should I go for it and fullfill my passion in astronomy? Or do something else.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well since you have more than one life to live, I say put it off to another one.

Though unless you don't subscribe to that theory, there's an alternative. Work on your math skills. Practice makes... good enough. And yes, a phd is any science is hard.

If you truly want to pursue astrophysics, then by all means go for it. You will definitely have to study up when it comes to math, though. I was in the same boat, and I was scared about all the math classes that are required. But if you really want to do astrophysics, the best thing to do is see math as just another challenge to overcome, as with anything that happens in life. Take the chance though, try out the math classes, and really put a lot of effort into it, see where it takes you.
If you really want to stay away from the math, that's no problem. You can always enjoy reading and looking up astronomy papers and articles as a hobby or something you enjoy doing.

oh k...well i fink that we all have something we really love but one thing is driving us away...if u really love astrophysics becos physics is simple to u and math isn't i dnt fink u should u push ur self any further i mean u re entitled to so many causes in life but first find something to achieve that doesn't have math in it but has physics and then later on u can tackle ur problem wif math l8r...

ezarhadden said:
So what do you think I should do? Is getting a PHD in physics that hard? Should I go for it and fullfill my passion in astronomy? Or do something else.

I don't think people here, or on any forum, can answer these questions for you (apart from the PhD one - the answer is yes. Very hard).

One thing you should consider first of all is that (and I say this without any idea of your background, so please don't be offended If I'm wrong) astronomy potentially isn't what you think it is. If you're looking at astronomy from a popular science perspective then you're getting an extremely romanticised view of what things are like. An astronomy degree is highly mathematical; you'll do things like mechanics, fluid dynamics, geometric optics. The day to day work isn't as cut and try as discovering the wonders of the universe, though on some grand scale ones work might boil down to that, it's hard to tell show someone just how that's true when all you have is a page filled with equations.

Another thing, if by 'school' you mean high school, then you haven't done enough mathematics to know whether or not you're good at it yet. Don't worry about your previous grades - if you want to give it a go, then do it. Don't let high school hold you back :smile:

You know, to hell with giving up your dream. I say go for it. I'm not the best at math either, and I'm studying to be an aerospace engineer. Sheer determination can match raw talent any day.

Angry Citizen said:
Sheer determination can match raw talent any day.

You just made my day!

Angry Citizen said:
You know, to hell with giving up your dream. I say go for it. I'm not the best at math either, and I'm studying to be an aerospace engineer. Sheer determination can match raw talent any day.

Same here, and I want to do particle/nuclear physics:rolleyes:

Hopefully my sheer interest/determination/and persistence can suffice...

Related to Not the best at math, but love physics

What is the difference between math and physics?

Mathematics is the study of numbers, quantity, and space, while physics is the study of the natural world and its behavior through the use of mathematical equations and theories.

Do I need to be good at math to understand physics?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful in understanding physics, it is not a requirement. Many concepts in physics can be understood intuitively without extensive mathematical knowledge.

Why do some people struggle with math but excel in physics?

Math and physics require different types of thinking. Some people may struggle with the abstract nature of math, but excel in physics because it allows them to visualize and apply concepts to real-world situations.

How can I improve my math skills for physics?

One way to improve math skills for physics is to practice solving problems and equations. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and theories in physics can also help with understanding and applying mathematical equations.

Can I still pursue a career in physics if I am not the best at math?

Yes, there are many different careers in physics that do not require extensive mathematical knowledge, such as experimental physics or science communication. However, having a strong foundation in math can open up more opportunities in the field.