Not sure about the strength of my grad application

In summary, the person is unsure about the strength of their grad school application for math programs. They are looking for guidance on where to apply and mention their GPA, research experience, and courses they have taken. They ask for recommendations on what schools to aim for, but the advice given is to focus on finding an advisor and program that align with their interests rather than solely considering school rankings.
jaeliseo
Not sure about the strength of my grad application (MATH)...

Hi all, Sorry to post another typical grad application question, but I really need some guidance on appropriate math grad schools I should apply to. My advisors don't seem to know much. Could anyone give me a rough idea of where I should apply... Top 20, 30, 40, 50... etc.. I am applying in the fall of this year.
I plan of apply to Pure Math PhD programs.

I go to a large state school in NC without any significant math reputation:

My overall GPA: 3.5 (I had a dismal start... 3.7+ last 2 years)
Math GPA: 3.75
MATH GRE: will take.

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
I have been doing a year-long project in Mathematical Biology with a professor, and am currently writing the paper for publication. I will get first name on the paper. I am also a T.A. for the math department, and a member of Pi Mu Epsilon (if that means anything).

I have taken the following courses:

UNDERGRADUATE COURSES:
Single, Multi- Variable Calculus: A
Differential Equations: B
Elementary Linear Algebra: C (not sure what happened here...)
Intro to Abstract Algebra: A-
Intermediate Abstract Algebra: A+
Intro to Mathematical Analysis: A
Discrete Mathematics I and II: B+
Set Theory and Transfinite Arithmetic: A+
Functional Analysis: A

GRADUATE COURSES:
Advanced Linear Algebra and Matrix Theory: A
Mathematical Analysis: A
Advanced Abstract Algebra: A
General Topology: A
Theory of Computation: A

LAST SEMESTER SCHEDULE:
Advanced Linear Algebra and Matrix Theory II (Graduate)
Mathematical Analysis II (Graduate)
Advanced Abstract Algebra II (Graduate)
General Topology II (Graduate)
Complex Analysis

So... what should I shoot for?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it's like physics grad school you should in principle be able to get into a top 10 school, especially if your research advisor is somewhat well known and can provide you with a good letter of rec. But it's not probable that this will happen; there are truly very few students for whom it is probable that they will get into a top ten school.

But that's really immaterial from what I've heard talking to advisors and so on (again, for physics). Basically look for an advisor doing something you think is really cool and apply there, assuming the location and cost of living are compatible. Trying to make overly pragmatic career oriented decisions can be very damaging; if you try to go to princeton because you think that will allow you to become a professor, but it turns out you hate princeton and your advisor there (assuming you get in), that's vastly more damaging to you than going to Georgia Tech and liking the culture/advisor/project.

School ranking shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Related to Not sure about the strength of my grad application

What factors should I consider when evaluating the strength of my grad application?

There are a few key factors that can contribute to the strength of your grad application, including your academic record, research experience, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and relevant extracurricular activities. It's important to assess each of these components and make sure they highlight your strengths and potential as a graduate student.

How can I improve my grad application if I feel it is not strong enough?

If you feel that your grad application is not as strong as it could be, there are a few steps you can take to improve it. Consider taking additional courses or gaining more research experience in your field of interest. You can also reach out to professors or professionals in your field for mentorship and guidance, and ask for strong letters of recommendation. Finally, make sure your personal statement effectively communicates your passion and qualifications for graduate school.

Should I apply to multiple graduate programs to increase my chances of acceptance?

It can be tempting to apply to multiple graduate programs to increase your chances of getting accepted, but this approach can actually backfire. Each program is looking for specific qualities and fit, so it's important to carefully research and select programs that align with your interests and strengths. Applying to too many programs can also be costly and time-consuming.

What can I do if I have a weak area in my application?

If you have a weak area in your grad application, it's important to address it directly in your personal statement or in an additional statement. Explain any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to the weak area and highlight your strengths in other areas. You can also consider retaking a course or gaining more experience in that particular area to improve your application.

How important are standardized test scores in a grad application?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT, are just one component of a grad application and are not always the most important. Some programs may place more emphasis on other factors, such as research experience or letters of recommendation. However, it's still important to strive for a competitive score and to prepare for the test to the best of your ability.