[Not Homework] Converging Series Problem (Fly and Einstein)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem concerning determining a sum formula for the distance traveled by a fly. The participant is seeking help and has explained their attempts at solving the problem. They also mention the velocity of the fly and ask for clarification on how to approach the problem.
suporia
This is not homework but a problem I would like to learn to solve before my exam.

Homework Statement

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23889576/Screenshots/01.png

Homework Equations

Series Formulae

The Attempt at a Solution

I went about trying to determine a sum formula for the fly's distance traveled but could not get very far. Any help available would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi suporia! :wink:

show us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi,

I wasn't sure how to even start approaching the problem (determining the equation for the series).

suporia said:
I went about trying to determine a sum formula for the fly's distance traveled but could not get very far.

show us how far you did get :smile:

How long until they meet? If the fly is flying at 7 m/s how far does it fly in that time?

Related to [Not Homework] Converging Series Problem (Fly and Einstein)

1. What is the Fly and Einstein problem?

The Fly and Einstein problem is a mathematical problem that involves a fly flying back and forth between two trains traveling towards each other at different speeds. The problem explores the concept of converging series, where an infinite sum of numbers approaches a finite value.

2. What is the solution to the Fly and Einstein problem?

The solution to the Fly and Einstein problem is that the fly travels an infinite distance, but it takes a finite amount of time. This is because the sum of the distances traveled by the fly approaches a finite value as the trains get closer and closer to each other.

3. Why is the Fly and Einstein problem important?

The Fly and Einstein problem is important because it helps us understand the concept of converging series and the idea that an infinite sum can have a finite value. It also has real-world applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the distance traveled by particles in a collider.

4. What are some practical applications of the Fly and Einstein problem?

Aside from its applications in physics and engineering, the Fly and Einstein problem has been used in economics to model the behavior of stock prices and in biology to study the growth of populations. It has also been used in computer science to analyze algorithms and their efficiency.

5. How can I solve the Fly and Einstein problem?

The Fly and Einstein problem can be solved using mathematical techniques such as geometric series, which involves calculating the sum of an infinite geometric sequence. It can also be solved using calculus, specifically the concept of limits, to show that the sum of the distances traveled by the fly converges to a finite value as the trains get closer and closer.