Norway's Slow TV: A Surprising Hit (CNN.com)

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, a surprising TV hit in Norway has captured the attention of a quarter of the nation's population, with over 1.3 million viewers tuning in for a 12-hour long knitting evening. This follows the success of a seven-hour train ride and a six-hour chess match, both of which have gained unexpected popularity in the country. Slow TV, as it's called, is becoming a trend, with some finding it more interesting than modern shows.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Anyone for "slow TV"?

Norway’s surprising TV hit (cnn.com)

Last Friday, 1.3 million Norwegians were indeed home, watching a smash hit television show. That's a quarter of the nation's population, tuning in for over 12 uninterrupted hours for a national…knitting evening.

A seven-hour train ride I could watch, especially if it's one through Norway. Long ago I took two days to travel by train from near Bodø to Trondheim to Oslo, gazing out the window and boggling at the scenery.

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL...knitting.

What's next, watching paint dry?

I can knit, and my mother and grandmother knitted, watching it...meh.

Slow TV repeated itself here in Norway today, when chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen hammered at World Champion Viswanathan Anand's position for 6 hours or so, local time here from 10.30 to 16.30 (Anand played brilliantly, and gained a well-deserved draw).

Although "only" about half a million Norwegians were registered to have been watching the show at one time or other (if not for the whole match), this kind of popularity of chess is considered surprising, even "shocking" to the Tv-producers themselves.

Knitting doesn't have to be boring.

Grandma+Knitting+game.jpg

For me, slow TV is letting my kids watch 50's cartoons but not spongebob squarepants.

Related to Norway's Slow TV: A Surprising Hit (CNN.com)

1. What is Slow TV?

Slow TV is a genre of television programming that involves long, uninterrupted broadcasts of mundane events or activities, often in real time. It originated in Norway in the early 2000s and has gained popularity in other countries as well.

2. How did Slow TV become popular in Norway?

Slow TV first gained popularity in Norway with the broadcast of a 7-hour train journey from Bergen to Oslo. Viewers found the slow pace and peaceful scenery to be a unique and calming experience. This led to more Slow TV programs being produced and eventually becoming a cultural phenomenon in Norway.

3. What makes Norway's Slow TV unique compared to other Slow TV programs?

Norway's Slow TV differs from other Slow TV programs in that it often showcases the country's stunning natural landscapes and cultural traditions. Some popular examples include a 134-hour live cruise along the Norwegian coast and a 12-hour broadcast of a knitting competition.

4. How do viewers respond to Norway's Slow TV?

Viewers have responded positively to Norway's Slow TV, finding it to be a refreshing change from the fast-paced and often stressful nature of traditional television. Many viewers enjoy the calming and meditative nature of Slow TV and find it to be a form of entertainment that helps them relax and unwind.

5. Is Slow TV a sustainable form of television programming?

While Slow TV may not be as popular as other forms of entertainment, it has proven to be a sustainable form of television programming in Norway. The low production costs and high viewer engagement make it a cost-effective option for broadcasters. Additionally, the slow pace and lack of need for constant attention make it a popular choice for background viewing.