Norms in Vector Spaces: Exploring the Continuity of Limits

In summary, in a Hilbert space with an orthonormal basis, the operation of taking limits and the norm function are both continuous, allowing us to "pull the limit out of the argument of the norm" and thus have the equality stated in the conversation.
Niles
Hi guys

The norm is a continuous function on its vector space, but I a little unsure of how to interpret this. Does it mean that if we are in e.g. a Hilbert space with an orthonormal basis ei (i is a positive integer), then we have

[tex]
\left\| {\mathop {\lim }\limits_{N \to \infty } \sum\limits_{i = 1}^N {x_i e_i } } \right\| =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{N \to \infty } \left\| {\sum\limits_{i = 1}^N {x_i e_i } } \right\|
[/tex]

for some vector x = Σ xiei in the Hilbert space? Or does the above operation come from the continuity of taking limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:
Does it mean that if we are in e.g. a Hilbert space with an orthonormal basis ei (i is a positive integer), then we have

[tex]
\left\| {\mathop {\lim }\limits_{N \to \infty } \sum\limits_{i = 1}^N {x_i e_i } } \right\| =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{N \to \infty } \left\| {\sum\limits_{i = 1}^N {x_i e_i } } \right\|
[/tex]

for some vector x = Σ xiei in the Hilbert space?
Yes, it does.
Or does the above operation come from the continuity of taking limits?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Maybe this will clear things up:

You know that for a continuous function f and a converging sequence x_n, we have
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}f(x_n)=f(\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n)[/tex],
i.e. you can "pull the limit out of the argument of a continuous function".

Now, let f be the norm-function: [tex]f=\|...\|[/tex]. Then the above becomes
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\|x_n\|=\|\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n\|[/tex]
i.e. you can "pull the limit out of the (argument of) the norm", which is what you did.

Related to Norms in Vector Spaces: Exploring the Continuity of Limits

1. What is a norm in a vector space?

A norm in a vector space is a mathematical concept that assigns a length or magnitude to a vector. It is a function that takes a vector as an input and returns a non-negative value, satisfying certain properties such as non-negativity, homogeneity, and the triangle inequality.

2. How is continuity of limits explored in vector spaces?

The continuity of limits in vector spaces is explored by examining the behavior of a sequence of vectors as it approaches a particular limit. This involves studying the properties of the norm function and its relationship to the concept of limits in algebraic and geometric terms.

3. What is the importance of studying norms in vector spaces?

Studying norms in vector spaces is important because it is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and has wide-ranging applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Understanding norms allows for the analysis and manipulation of vectors in a more precise and meaningful way.

4. Can norms be defined in any type of vector space?

Yes, norms can be defined in any finite-dimensional vector space. However, in infinite-dimensional vector spaces, there are different types of norms that can be defined, such as the Lp-norm, which is based on the p-norm of a sequence in a Banach space.

5. How are norms related to the concept of convergence in vector spaces?

Norms are closely related to the concept of convergence in vector spaces. In particular, norms allow us to measure the convergence of a sequence of vectors to a specific limit. A sequence of vectors is said to converge if the norm of the difference between the vectors in the sequence and the limit approaches zero as the number of terms in the sequence increases.