Normed Vector Spaces and Topological Vector Spaces

In summary: If ##\mathbb{F}## is an arbitrary field, then how do you define a normed vector space?If ##\mathbb{F}## is an arbitrary field, then how do you define a normed vector space?You can define a norm on the field using the usual axioms of normality.
Bashyboy
Let ##(V, ||\cdot||)## be some finite-dimensional vector space over field ##\mathbb{F}## with ##\dim V = n##. Endowing this vector space with the metric topology, where the metric is induced by the norm, will ##V## become a topological vector space? It seems that this might be true, given that finite-dimensional vector spaces are nice e.g., all norms on a finite dimensional vector space are equivalent and ##V## is isomorphic ##\mathbb{F}^n##. In short, my question is, can all normed finite-dimensional vector spaces be made into a topological vector space by considering the metric topology?

Does anyone know if this is true? I would like to know before I attempt at proving it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do we know about the field ##\mathbb F##? It must have a topology for us to even be able to ask the question of whether ##V## is a topological VS. Are you prepared to assume that the topology on ##\mathbb F## is a metric topology? If so, I would be confident that ##V## is a topological VS, as we can then use ##\epsilon-\delta## arguments throughout to prove the continuity of the two functions:
  • ##f:V\times V\to V## given by ##f(u,v)=u+v##; and
  • ##g:F\times V\to V## given by ##g(k,v)=kv##
If the topology on ##\mathbb F## is not metric it is not immediately clear (to me at least) whether a proof would succeed. If it did, I imagine it would be more difficult than with a metric topology.

Further stipulating that ##\mathbb{F}## is endowed with a metric topology would be perfectly fine, although I am interested in knowing whether the more general theorem applies. I will try proving this special case with the metric topology.

If ##\mathbb{F}## is an arbitrary field, then how do you define a normed vector space?

micromass said:
If ##\mathbb{F}## is an arbitrary field, then how do you define a normed vector space?
It can't be an arbitrary field, because we need a norm on ##\mathbb F## for the norm axioms to be well-defined. My question was about whether the topology on ##\mathbb F## is assumed equal to the metric topology induced by the norm.

Bashyboy said:
Let ##(V, ||\cdot||)## be some finite-dimensional vector space over field ##\mathbb{F}## with ##\dim V = n##. Endowing this vector space with the metric topology, where the metric is induced by the norm, will ##V## become a topological vector space? It seems that this might be true, given that finite-dimensional vector spaces are nice e.g., all norms on a finite dimensional vector space are equivalent and ##V## is isomorphic ##\mathbb{F}^n##. In short, my question is, can all normed finite-dimensional vector spaces be made into a topological vector space by considering the metric topology?

Does anyone know if this is true? I would like to know before I attempt at proving it.
Yes. A normed vector space always has an induced topology. It doesn't have to be finite-dimensional.

FactChecker said:
Yes. A normed vector space always has an induced topology. It doesn't have to be finite-dimensional.

I wasn't questioning whether it could have a topology induced by the norm, but rather if the induced topology would yield a topological vector space.

CORRECTION: @mathwonk points out below that this link assumes F is the reals or complex numbers.
Bashyboy said:
I wasn't questioning whether it could have a topology induced by the norm, but rather if the induced topology would yield a topological vector space.
Oh. The answer is that it is a topological vector space (see the Example in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_vector_space )

Last edited:
the wiki article you linked assumes, as is natural, that the field of scalars is the reals or complexes. the present confusion stems from trying to ask the question about a case so general it is not what the definitions and assumptions are. presumably the first case to consider to clarify this question would be the one dimensional case.

Likes FactChecker
andrewkirk said:
It can't be an arbitrary field, because we need a norm on ##\mathbb F## for the norm axioms to be well-defined.
We don't want a norm on the field rather an absolute value. Yes this pedantic to the point of ridiculousness.
It's worth pointing out if ##\mathbb{F} = \mathbb{Q}## then you have the ordinary absolute value and the p-adic one. The latter is...different.

Related to Normed Vector Spaces and Topological Vector Spaces

1. What is a normed vector space?

A normed vector space is a vector space equipped with a norm, which is a mathematical function that assigns a non-negative value to each vector in the space. This norm measures the size or magnitude of a vector and follows a set of properties such as non-negativity, homogeneity, and the triangle inequality.

2. What is the difference between a normed vector space and a topological vector space?

A normed vector space is a special case of a topological vector space. While both types of spaces have vector operations and a notion of distance, a topological vector space is more general and does not necessarily have a norm defined on it. In a topological vector space, the concept of convergence is used to define continuity, whereas in a normed vector space, the norm is used to define continuity.

3. What is a topological vector space?

A topological vector space is a vector space equipped with a topology, which is a set of rules for determining which sequences of vectors converge to a certain point in the space. The topology also defines notions of continuity and convergence, and is often used to study more general types of vector spaces that may not have a norm defined on them.

4. What is the importance of studying normed vector spaces and topological vector spaces?

These mathematical structures are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including functional analysis, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. They provide a rigorous framework for understanding vector spaces and their properties, and have applications in fields such as optimization, control theory, and signal processing.

5. What are some examples of normed vector spaces and topological vector spaces?

Examples of normed vector spaces include Euclidean spaces, function spaces such as Lp spaces, and matrix spaces equipped with different matrix norms. Examples of topological vector spaces include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and the space of continuous functions on a compact interval.