Normalizing a wave packet - cannot understand the solution

X squared is very smallIn summary, the conversation discusses two points related to normalizing a wave packet. The first point is about the red encircled part not diverging to infinity, which is explained by the fact that the first term oscillates while the second term approaches zero. The second point is about deriving the last line from the second last one, which can be done by getting a common denominator and using the smallness of delta X squared.
physiker99
This question is about normalizing a wave packet, this is actually the solution and I couldn't understand 2 points.

- I cannot see how the red encircled part do not diverge to infinity.

- And I cannot understand how the very last line is derived from the 2nd last one.

For the second one I tried to call i(po-px) as A and 1/(deltaX) B but that did not lead anywhere.

2ikwrw6.png

Physics news on Phys.org
For the red box
[tex]
e^{i \alpha x - \beta x} = e^{i \alpha x}e^{-\beta x}
[/tex]
for x -> infinity: the first term oscillates between 1 and -1 (in accordance with euler's equation), but the second term approaches zero. So the whole thing approaches zero, and you're just left with the evaluation at x = 0.And for the penultimate to ultimate lines, you just have to get a common denominator to combine the fractions; a bunch of stuff will cancel... you multiply through by delta X / delta X

Related to Normalizing a wave packet - cannot understand the solution

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized and finite disturbance in a medium that propagates as a wave. It is a mathematical solution to the wave equation that represents a single cycle of a wave with a specific amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

2. What does it mean to normalize a wave packet?

Normalizing a wave packet refers to the process of adjusting the amplitude and shape of the wave packet to make it comply with certain mathematical criteria, such as having a total probability of 1. This ensures that the wave packet is a valid representation of a physical wave and can be used to make accurate predictions.

3. How is a wave packet normalized?

A wave packet is normalized by multiplying its amplitude by a constant value that ensures the total probability of the wave packet is equal to 1. This is typically done through a mathematical process known as integration, where the amplitude is squared and integrated over the entire wave packet.

4. Why is normalizing a wave packet important?

Normalizing a wave packet is important because it ensures that the wave packet is a valid representation of a physical wave. It also allows for accurate calculations and predictions to be made using the wave packet solution.

5. What is the solution to "Normalizing a wave packet - cannot understand the solution"?

The solution to normalizing a wave packet involves using mathematical techniques such as integration to adjust the amplitude and shape of the wave packet. It may also involve understanding the physical properties and behavior of waves to accurately interpret and apply the solution.