General solution of the spherical wave equation

In summary: I see that you are trying to use the solution for R to solve for ##\psi##. However, since R and T are independent of each other, this solution contains time.
ContagiousKnowledge
Homework Statement
The radial oscillations of an ideal gas in a spherical cavity of radius r' are governed by the spherical wave equation subject to the boundary condition ψ(r',t)=0. ψ(r,t) is the radial displacement and v is the speed of sound. Show that the general solution of this equation is written
$$ \psi(r,t) = \Sigma_{i=1,\infty} sinc(i\frac{ir\pi}{r'})cos(\omega_{i}t-\phi_{i})$$
where
$$ sinc(x) = \frac{sin(x)}{x} $$
$$ \omega_{i} = i \pi \frac{v}{r'} $$
Relevant Equations
$$ \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial t^2} = v^{2}(\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial r^2} + \frac{2}{r} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial r}) $$
Since the spherical wave equation is linear, the general solution is a summation of all normal modes.

To find the particular solution for a given value of i, we can try using the method of separation of variables.

$$ ψ(r,t)=R(r)T(t)ψ(r,t)=R(r)T(t) $$​

Plug this separable solution into the spherical wave equation.

$$ \frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial t^{2}} = \frac{v^{2}}{R} \frac{\partial^{2}R}{\partial r^{2}} + \frac{2 v^{2}}{rR} \frac{\partial R}{\partial r} $$
$$ R(r)=Acos(k_{i}r)+Bsin(k_{i}r) $$
$$ T(t)=Ccos(ω_{i}t)+Dsin(ω_{i}t) $$​

Given the initial condition ψ(r',t)=0,
$$ 0=Acos(kir′)+Bsin(kir′)=Acos(kir′)+Bsin(kir′) $$
Only one boundary condition is given, but I wonder if there is some other boundary condition for spherical waves that would allow us to ascertain more information, or if there is a superior method. I am trying to figure out how to proceed form here.​

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the general solution, R should be a ##\operatorname {sinc}##. How did you find your ##R## ?

And: do you use ##r'## for ##a## with a specific reason ?

There is a second boundary condition, not stated explicitly, which is that the solution should remain finite at r=0.

Please check your solutions for radial equation. Their solution will provide you with another physical boundary condition.

Okay, I see that, as @phyzguy indicated, since the power of the wave is spread over a larger surface area as one moves farther from r=0, so the displacement will tend to decrease as one moves farther from r=0. Thus ψ(0,t) is finite and greater than zero provided the displacement is greater than zero at some r. @BvU pointed out that R(r) should contain a sinc term which makes sense because sin(x)/x decreases with increasing x. So, I will try a different solution for R(r)
$$ 0 = Acos(k_{i} r) + Bsinc(k_{i} r) $$ $$ 0 < R(0) = Acos(0) + sinc(0) = A + sinc(0) $$
Although, I don't immediately see how this is useful, and sinc(0) is undefined.

ContagiousKnowledge said:
Okay, I see that, as @phyzguy indicated, since the power of the wave is spread over a larger surface area as one moves farther from r=0, so the displacement at is the maximum. Thus ψ(0,t) is finite and greater than zero provided the displacement is greater than zero at some r. @BvU pointed out that R(r) should contain a sinc term which makes sense because sin(x)/x decreases with increasing x. So, I will try a different solution for R(r)
$$ 0 = Acos(k_{i} r) + Bsinc(k_{i} r) $$ $$ 0 < R(0) = Acos(0) + sinc(0) = A + sinc(0) $$
Although, I don't immediately see how this is useful, and sinc(0) is undefined.
[itex] sinc(0) = 1[/itex] not undefined. I don't think your solution is correct.

Likes hutchphd
Dr Transport said:
[itex] sinc(0) = 1[/itex] not undefined. I don't think your solution is correct.
sinc(x) = sin(x)/x. Why isn't sinc(0) udnefined if we're dividing by zero? Or are you saying that sinc(x) approaches one as x approaches zero? Could you elaborate on why the solution is wrong?

Last edited:
expand [itex] \sin(x)[/itex] in a Taylor series and divide by [itex] x[/itex], it is [itex] 1 [/itex] not undefined.

Dr Transport said:
expand [itex] \sin(x)[/itex] in a Taylor series and divide by [itex] x[/itex], it is [itex] 1 [/itex] not undefined.
That makes sense.
$$ R(0) = A + B $$
Which just tells us that R(0) is some constant. But you suggested that my solution was incorrect. COuld you elaborate on this? I agree that my solution doesn't seem to be getting me closer to an answer, but I don't know what I should do differently.

[itex] R(r)[/itex] is of the form [itex] \frac{1}{r} \cos(\omega t - kr - \phi)[/itex] not a combination of [itex] \cos(x)[/itex] and [itex] sinc(x)[/itex] as you state, you're missing a factor of [itex] r[/itex].

@Dr Transport @BvU @phyzguy @Abhishek11235
$$ 0 = \frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t - kr' - \phi) $$ $$ R(0) = \frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t + \phi) $$
Plugging
$$ \frac{A}{r} \cos(\omega t - kr - \phi) $$ into the wave equation, we can verify that it is a solution and that
$$ \omega = kv $$
Presumably, I can somehow use the initial conditions to solve for k for a given value of i and verify that
$$ \omega_{i} = i \pi \frac{v}{r'} $$
If someone could point me in the direction of how to do this, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
@Dr Transport @BvU @phyzguy @Abhishek11235
$$ 0 = \frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t - kr' - \phi) $$ $$ R(0) = \frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t + \phi) $$
Is that solution for R or ##\psi##?
If it is for R,then your solution for R contains time. But remember while using separation of variables,your assumptions were that R and T are independent of each other.

Likes Delta2
Abhishek11235 said:
Is that solution for R or ##\psi##?
If it is for R,then your solution for R contains time. But remember while using separation of variables,your assumptions were that R and T are independent of each other.

I see why that is confusing. I was responding to @Dr Transport who said:
Dr Transport said:
[itex] R(r)[/itex] is of the form [itex] \frac{1}{r} \cos(\omega t - kr - \phi)[/itex] not a combination of [itex] \cos(x)[/itex] and [itex] sinc(x)[/itex] as you state, you're missing a factor of [itex] r[/itex].
I think Dr Transport meant that the solution to the wave equation takes the form
$$ \frac{1}{r} \cos(\omega t - kr - \phi) $$
As I said, I have tried plugging
$$ \frac{A}{r} \cos(\omega t - kr - \phi) = \psi $$
into the wave equation to confirm that it is a solution, so I suppose my previous reply contains solutions for ψ. Regardless, I am trying to figure out how to apply the boundary conditions to solve for ω and ultimately find the general solution.

rewrite the differential for the [itex] R(r)[/itex] as [itex] \frac{d^2(rR(r))}{d^2r}[/itex]. The complete wave function [itex] \psi(r,t) = T(t)R(r)[/itex] which can be rewritten like I said before with a phase factor of [itex]\phi[/itex].

@Dr Transport I apologize if I'm slow, but I'm not what you're asking me to do. What do you mean by
Dr Transport said:
rewrite the differential for the [itex] R(r)[/itex] as [itex] \frac{d^2(rR(r))}{d^2r}[/itex].

Last edited:
@Dr Transport I apologize if I'm slow, but I'm not what you're asking me to do. What do you mean by
He has given you a hint. That is one of the standard trick to solve DE. If you expand that you will see that it reproduces your DE with missing factor. The resultant equation is easy to solve. Try it!

Abhishek11235 said:
He has given you a hint. That is one of the standard trick to solve DE. If you expand that you will see that it reproduces your DE with missing factor. The resultant equation is easy to solve. Try it!
I'm still trying to figure out what you're asking me to do. What am I supposed to plug in for R(r)?

I'm still trying to figure out what you're asking me to do. What am I supposed to plug in for R(r)?
You are confused. So,I will partially do it for you.

$$\frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2}+ \frac{2}{rR} \frac{\partial R}{\partial r}=k^2$$

Now ,the hint given to you was:
$$\frac{\partial^2 (rR)}{\partial r^2}= r\frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} + 2\frac{\partial R}{\partial r}$$

Now,there should be no problem in joining the above 2 equations and get a solution for ##R##!

Likes Delta2
@Abhishek11235
$$ \frac{\partial^2 (rR)}{\partial r^2} = rRk^{2} $$ $$ Ak^{2}cos(\omega t - kr - \phi) = r[\frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t - kr - \phi)]k^{2} $$ $$ R(r) = \frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t - kr - \phi) $$

@Abhishek11235
$$ \frac{\partial^2 (rR)}{\partial r^2} = rR(k^{2}) $$ $$ Ak^{2}cos(\omega t - kr - \phi) = r[\frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t - kr - \phi)]k^{2} $$ $$ R(r) = \frac{A}{r}cos(\omega t - kr - \phi) $$
See post #12. You did same mistake. You should re-read any book on Differential equation if you can't solve this easy one. And I can't post solution or go ahead as it will violate community rules.

Abhishek11235 said:
See post #12. You did same mistake. You should re-read any book on Differential equation if you can't solve this easy one. And I can't post solution or go ahead as it will violate community rules.
$$ R(r) = A\frac{e^{-ikr}}{r} $$

1. What is the spherical wave equation?

The spherical wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of a wave in three-dimensional space. It takes into account factors such as the wave's amplitude, wavelength, and propagation speed.

2. What is the general solution of the spherical wave equation?

The general solution of the spherical wave equation is a mathematical expression that describes all possible solutions to the equation. It includes a combination of both propagating and non-propagating solutions and can be used to model a variety of physical phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

3. How is the general solution of the spherical wave equation derived?

The general solution of the spherical wave equation is derived by applying the separation of variables technique to the equation. This involves assuming that the solution can be expressed as a product of functions of each variable (e.g. time, position) and then solving for these functions using boundary conditions.

4. What types of boundary conditions are used to solve the spherical wave equation?

The boundary conditions used to solve the spherical wave equation depend on the specific problem being modeled. In some cases, the boundary conditions may be specified as the initial conditions of the wave (e.g. its amplitude and phase at t=0). In other cases, the boundary conditions may involve constraints on the wave's behavior at certain points in space (e.g. no reflections at the origin).

5. How is the general solution of the spherical wave equation used in practical applications?

The general solution of the spherical wave equation has many practical applications in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and seismology. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of waves in various physical systems, and is also used in the development of technologies such as sonar and radar. Additionally, the general solution can be used to solve specific boundary value problems and determine the behavior of waves in complex scenarios.