Normalization of radial Laguerre-Gauss

In summary, the conversation was about normalizing the radial Laguerre-Gauss function, given by \Psi _n (r) = h_n L_n (2\pi r^2) e^{-\pi r^2}. The relevant equations were \int _0 ^{\infty} e^{-x} \, x^k \, L_n ^{(k)} (x) \, L_m ^{(k)} (x) dx = \frac{(n+k)!}{n!} \delta _{m,n} and 1 = \int _0 ^{\infty} \Psi _m ^{\ast} (r) \Psi _n (r) dr. The conversation also
DivGradCurl

Homework Statement

Normalization of radial Laguerre-Gauss

Normalize [tex] \Psi _n (r) = h_n L_n (2\pi r^2) e^{-\pi r^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int _0 ^{\infty} e^{-x} \, x^k \, L_n ^{(k)} (x) \, L_m ^{(k)} (x) dx = \frac{(n+k)!}{n!} \delta _{m,n} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]1 = \int _0 ^{\infty} \Psi _m ^{\ast} (r) \Psi _n (r) dr = \int _0 ^{\infty} h_m ^{\ast} L_m (2\pi r^2) e^{-\pi r^2} h_n L_n (2\pi r^2) e^{-\pi r^2} dr [/tex]

If I let [itex] x = 2\pi r^2[/itex], then I get [itex] dx = (4\pi r) dr[/itex]. The radial dependence bothers me. I think there's a step I'm missing out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized [itex]dx[/itex] is not an issue. I don't need to substitute it by a [itex]dr[/itex], so there's no problem. All I need to do is replace [itex]2\pi r^2[/itex] by [itex]x[/itex]. I'm done.

Related to Normalization of radial Laguerre-Gauss

1. What is the radial Laguerre-Gauss function?

The radial Laguerre-Gauss function is a mathematical function used to describe the intensity distribution of a laser beam. It is a special case of the Laguerre-Gauss function, which is commonly used to describe the spatial profile of laser beams.

2. Why is normalization of radial Laguerre-Gauss important?

Normalization of radial Laguerre-Gauss is important because it ensures that the total power of the laser beam is conserved. This is crucial for accurately characterizing the beam and for predicting its behavior in different optical systems.

3. How is normalization of radial Laguerre-Gauss performed?

Normalization of radial Laguerre-Gauss is typically performed by integrating the squared modulus of the function over the entire beam profile. This integral is then divided by the total power of the beam to obtain a normalized version of the function.

4. What are the benefits of using normalized radial Laguerre-Gauss?

Using normalized radial Laguerre-Gauss allows for easier comparison of different beams, as the normalized function is independent of the total power of the beam. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to manipulate the function in various optical systems.

5. Can normalized radial Laguerre-Gauss be used for non-Gaussian beams?

Yes, normalized radial Laguerre-Gauss can be used to describe the intensity distribution of non-Gaussian beams. However, it may not accurately capture the entire beam profile and may need to be combined with other functions to fully characterize the beam.