How do I find this expectation value?

In summary: I think you're right. I just realized I didn't read carefully enough and missed the minus sign in front of that equation.
Kyrios

Homework Statement

A hydrogen like ion (with one electron and a nucleus of charge Ze) is in the state
[tex] ψ = ψ_{2,0,0} - ψ_{2,1,0} [/tex]

What's the expectation value of \hat{r} (position operator) as a function of Z?
Assuming origin at nucleus.

Homework Equations

for Z=1

[tex] < ψ | \hat{r} | ψ > = -3 \frac{4 π ε_0 \hbar^2}{m e^2} n_z[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the values for

I got

[tex] ψ = \frac{1}{4 \sqrt{2 π a_0 ^3}} e^{- \frac{r}{2 a_0}} ( 2 - \frac{r}{a_0} - \frac{r cos(\theta)}{a_0}) [/tex]

I wouldn't have a clue how to integrate this and I imagine there must be an easier way to find the expectation value.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kyrios said:

Homework Statement

A hydrogen like ion (with one electron and a nucleus of charge Ze) is in the state

What's the expectation value of \hat{r} (position operator) as a function of Z?
Assuming origin at nucleus.

Homework Equations

for Z=1

What does ##n_z## represent? Is this result for the given ##\psi##?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the values for

I got

[tex] ψ = \frac{1}{4 \sqrt{2 π a_0 ^3}} e^{- \frac{r}{2 a_0}} ( 2 - \frac{r}{a_0} - \frac{r cos(\theta)}{a_0}) [/tex]
You're going to have to normalize the wave function before calculating the expectation value.

I wouldn't have a clue how to integrate this and I imagine there must be an easier way to find the expectation value.
Why not? It's an integral you should be able to do if you've taken basic calculus. Once you have the correct integral set up, it may look intimidating, but it's a straightforward to evaluate.

Initially, keep the integral in terms of ##\psi_{200}## and ##\psi_{210}##. You'll be able to argue that some of the terms will vanish when integrated.

vela said:
What does ##n_z## represent? Is this result for the given ##\psi##?
It's the unit vector pointing in the z-direction. Yes, this is the Z=1 result for the given ψ.

You're going to have to normalize the wave function before calculating the expectation value.

The wave function is already normalised.

As for the integral, this is what I was doing initially:

[tex] < \hat{r} > = \int_{- \infty} ^ {\infty} ψ * \hat{r} ψ dV [/tex]

[tex] < \hat{r} > = \int_{- \infty} ^ {\infty} ψ * ψ r^3 dr [/tex]

[tex] < \hat{r} > = \int_{- \infty} ^ {\infty} \frac{1}{32 π a_0 ^3} e^{- \frac{r}{a_0}} ( 2 - \frac{r}{a_0} - \frac{r cos(\theta)}{a_0})^2 r^3 dr [/tex]

What I've got here, even wolfram alpha can't integrate.

By keeping the ψ_{2,0,0} and ψ_{2,1,0} separate, do you mean

[tex] \hat{r} | ψ > = \hat{r} \psi_{200} - \hat{r} \psi_{210} [/tex]

[tex] < \psi | \hat{r} | ψ > = ( \psi_{200} - \psi_{210} ) ( \hat{r} \psi_{200} - \hat{r} \psi_{210} ) [/tex]

[tex] < \psi | \hat{r} | ψ > = \psi_{200} \hat{r} \psi_{200} - \psi_{200} \hat{r} \psi_{210} - \psi_{210} \hat{r} \psi_{200} + \psi_{210} \hat{r} \psi_{210} [/tex]

And then integrate each part separately and add them up?

Kyrios said:
The wave function is already normalised.
No, it isn't. The individual wave functions are, but the linear combination isn't.

As for the integral, this is what I was doing initially:

[tex] < \hat{r} > = \int_{- \infty} ^ {\infty} ψ * \hat{r} ψ dV [/tex]

[tex] < \hat{r} > = \int_{- \infty} ^ {\infty} ψ * ψ r^3 dr [/tex]

[tex] < \hat{r} > = \int_{- \infty} ^ {\infty} \frac{1}{32 π a_0 ^3} e^{- \frac{r}{a_0}} ( 2 - \frac{r}{a_0} - \frac{r cos(\theta)}{a_0})^2 r^3 dr [/tex]

What I've got here, even wolfram alpha can't integrate.
The limits and volume element aren't correct. In spherical coordinates, you want to calculate
$$\int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} f(r,\theta,\phi)\,r^2\sin\theta\,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr$$ in general.

By keeping the ψ_{2,0,0} and ψ_{2,1,0} separate, do you mean

[tex] \hat{r} | ψ > = \hat{r} \psi_{200} - \hat{r} \psi_{210} [/tex]

[tex] < \psi | \hat{r} | ψ > = ( \psi_{200} - \psi_{210} ) ( \hat{r} \psi_{200} - \hat{r} \psi_{210} ) [/tex]

[tex] < \psi | \hat{r} | ψ > = \psi_{200} \hat{r} \psi_{200} - \psi_{200} \hat{r} \psi_{210} - \psi_{210} \hat{r} \psi_{200} + \psi_{210} \hat{r} \psi_{210} [/tex]

And then integrate each part separately and add them up?
Yes. Some of those terms you can argue will integrate to 0. (If you don't trust your physical intuition, you could also integrate them and verify that they vanish.)

vela said:
Yes. Some of those terms you can argue will integrate to 0.

I think it is the [tex] < \psi_{200} | \hat{r} | \psi_{200} > and < \psi_{210} | \hat{r} | \psi_{210} > [/tex] terms that will vanish, leaving
[tex] - < \psi_{200} | \hat{r} | \psi_{210} > - < \psi_{210} | \hat{r} | \psi_{200} > [/tex]

which would give me.. -6 a_0 after integrating ?

Looks good except that you neglected the effect of Z.

vela said:
Looks good except that you neglected the effect of Z.

Ah yes, I guess that would just make it

[tex] \frac{-6 a_0}{Z} [/tex]

since r is proportional to 1/Z ?

I don't recall the Z dependence offhand, but what you said does sound familiar. It would probably be best if you looked at how the derivation changes if you use ##Ze^2/r## for the potential instead of just ##e^2/r## in the Schrodinger equation.

Likes 1 person
Kyrios said:
That's not possible. The expectation value of ##\hat{r}##, or average position, can't be negative.

Kyrios said:
It's the unit vector pointing in the z-direction.
It can't be. The expectation value of ##\hat{r}## is scalar, not a vector.

Kyrios said:
I think it is the [tex] < \psi_{200} | \hat{r} | \psi_{200} > and < \psi_{210} | \hat{r} | \psi_{210} > [/tex] terms that will vanish
You just gave above the equation for ##\langle \psi_{n l m} | \hat{r} | \psi_{n l m} \rangle##. Was it zero?

Kyrios said:
which would give me.. -6 a_0 after integrating ?
Again, you can't have a negative value.

DrClaude said:
That's not possible. The expectation value of ##\hat{r}##, or average position, can't be negative.
It can't be. The expectation value of ##\hat{r}## is scalar, not a vector.

I'm just writing what it says on the sheet. ##\hat{r}## is written as the position operator, and I guess the electron is just along the negative z axis with respect to the nucleus. I don't think my professor would have made a mistake in his question (at least I rather hope not). I kind of see what you mean, but I've had negative expectation values before. Thanks anyway though.

I think your professor meant the observable corresponding to the position vector ##\vec{r}## rather than the spherical coordinate ##r##. At least, that's what I was assuming given what you had written.

Related to How do I find this expectation value?

1. How do I calculate the expectation value of a variable?

The expectation value of a variable is calculated by multiplying the value of the variable with its corresponding probability and then summing up all the products. This can be expressed mathematically as E(x) = ΣxP(x), where x represents the variable and P(x) represents its probability.

2. What is the significance of expectation value in scientific research?

The expectation value is a fundamental concept in statistics and probability theory. It allows scientists to predict the most likely outcome of a random variable and make informed decisions based on this prediction. It is also used to evaluate the success or failure of experiments and to compare different data sets.

3. How do I interpret the expectation value?

The expectation value represents the average value that a random variable will take over a large number of trials. It can also be thought of as the long-term average of a variable. For example, if the expectation value of a coin flip is 0.5, it means that over a large number of flips, the average number of heads will be 0.5.

4. What is the difference between expectation value and mean?

The expectation value and mean are closely related concepts, but the main difference is that the expectation value is calculated using probabilities, while the mean is calculated using actual values. The expectation value is a theoretical concept, while the mean is a measure of central tendency in a data set.

5. Can I use the expectation value to make predictions?

Yes, the expectation value can be used to make predictions about the most likely outcome of a random variable. However, it is important to note that it is not a guarantee and the actual outcome may differ. It is always important to consider other factors and variables when making predictions in scientific research.