Normalizaed wave function of the hydrogen atom

In summary, the process of finding the normalized wave functions for the hydrogen atom for n=1, l=0, and ml=0 involves solving the individual differential equations for the functions R(r), \Theta(\theta), and \Phi(\phi) by substituting the given values and using the Schrödinger equation. While the solution for \Phi(\phi) may be simpler, the solutions for \Theta(\theta) and \Phi(\phi) can be more complex, especially for higher values of n, l, and m. However, these solutions are necessary in order to obtain the complete wave function for the hydrogen atom.
asdf1
how do you find the normalized wave functions of the hydrogen atom for n=1, l=0 and ml=0?
in my textbook, it's a table, but i have no idea where the figures come from...

Physics news on Phys.org
asdf1 said:
how do you find the normalized wave functions of the hydrogen atom for n=1, l=0 and ml=0?
in my textbook, it's a table, but i have no idea where the figures come from...

You do it by finding the solution for the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom. This means finding the solutions of the individual differential equations for the functions [itex]R(r)[/itex], [itex]\Theta(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\Phi(\phi)[/itex].

Many introductory textbooks work through the solution for [itex]\Phi(\phi)[/itex] because its equation is rather easy. But I didn't see the complete solution for [itex]\Theta(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\Phi(\phi)[/itex] until my graduate school QM courses. They're that messy!

Oh wait, I was thinking of the general solution for any n, l, m. You want specifically n=1, l=0, m=0. That case might not be too bad, after you substiute those values of n, l, m into the individual differential equations for the three variables. [itex]\Theta(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\Phi(\phi)[/itex] both turn out to be constant in this case, so their differential equations must be very simple! :smile:

Last edited:
[itex]\Theta(\theta)[/itex]
but the original function isn't known, right? so how do you solve it?

That's what the Schrödinger equation is for, or rather the individual ordinary differential equations that you get after you separate the S.E.

Solving an algebraic equation like [itex]x^2 - 5x + 6 = 0[/itex] gives you a number for [itex]x[/itex], or a set of numbers. Solving a differential equation like [itex]d^2 \Phi(\phi) / d \phi^2 = -m_l^2 \Phi(\phi)[/itex] gives you a function for [itex]\Phi(\phi)[/itex], or a set of functions.

thank you very much! :)

Related to Normalizaed wave function of the hydrogen atom

What is the normalized wave function of the hydrogen atom?

The normalized wave function of the hydrogen atom is a mathematical expression that describes the probability of finding an electron in a certain location around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It is represented by the symbol Ψ (psi) and is used to calculate the energy levels and orbital shapes of the hydrogen atom.

Why is it important to normalize the wave function of the hydrogen atom?

Normalizing the wave function of the hydrogen atom ensures that the total probability of finding the electron in all possible locations is equal to 1. This is because the electron must be located somewhere in the atom at all times, and normalizing the wave function accounts for this. It also allows for accurate calculations of energy levels and orbital shapes.

How is the wave function of the hydrogen atom normalized?

The wave function of the hydrogen atom is normalized by dividing it by the square root of the integral of its absolute square over all space. This process is known as normalization and it ensures that the total probability of finding the electron is equal to 1.

What is the difference between the normalized and unnormalized wave function of the hydrogen atom?

The main difference between the normalized and unnormalized wave function of the hydrogen atom is that the normalized wave function takes into account the total probability of finding the electron in all possible locations, while the unnormalized wave function does not. Normalizing the wave function also allows for accurate calculations of energy levels and orbital shapes.

Can the wave function of the hydrogen atom be normalized for other elements?

Yes, the wave function for other elements can be normalized in a similar way. However, the specific form of the wave function will depend on the number of protons and electrons in the atom and the interactions between them. The wave function for more complex atoms can also be much more difficult to solve and normalize compared to the hydrogen atom.