Normalising Imaginary Eigenvector

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of normalizing a complex eigenvector in a system of coupled differential equations. The approach involves introducing an inner product and using the squared length of the vector, which is defined by the vector multiplied by its complex conjugate. It is noted that a complex number can be viewed as a vector in a complex one-dimensional vector space.
BOAS
Hello,

whilst solving a system of coupled differential equations I came across an eigen vector of ##\vec{e_{1}} = (^{1}_{i})##.

Assuming that this is a correct eigenvector, how do I normalise it? I want to say that ##\vec{e_{1}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (^{1}_{i})## but if I sum ##1^{2} + i^{2}## I get zero.

It seems sensible to me that the vector's length is root two, but how do I justify this, if at all?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In a complex vector space, you have to introduce an inner product which satisfies ##\langle x, y\rangle = \overline{\langle y,x\rangle}##.

The squared length of a complex vector v is defined by v.v(bar) where v(bar) is the complex conjugate, i believe. That will give you sqrt2

Ah of course. A complex number is essentially a vector.

Thank you.

BOAS said:
Ah of course. A complex number is essentially a vector.

Thank you.

I agree if you take away the "essentially". It is an element in a complex one-dimensional vector space. :)

Likes BOAS

1. What is normalising an imaginary eigenvector?

Normalising an imaginary eigenvector refers to the process of adjusting its magnitude or length to equal 1, while still preserving its direction.

2. Why is it important to normalise an imaginary eigenvector?

Normalising an imaginary eigenvector is important because it allows us to compare eigenvectors with different magnitudes on an equal scale. It also simplifies mathematical calculations involving eigenvectors.

3. How is an imaginary eigenvector normalised?

An imaginary eigenvector can be normalised by dividing each component of the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1.

4. What happens if an imaginary eigenvector is not normalised?

If an imaginary eigenvector is not normalised, its magnitude will be greater than 1. This can lead to incorrect interpretations of the vector's direction and can also cause issues in mathematical calculations.

5. Can a zero vector be normalised?

No, a zero vector cannot be normalised because its magnitude is 0. Dividing by 0 is undefined in mathematics.