Normal to the hyperbola Question

In summary, the normal to the hyperbola (x^2)/2 - y^2 = 1 at point P (sqrt 3, sqrt 0.5) cuts the y-axis at point A (0, 3/sqrt 2) and the x-axis at point B (3sqrt 3)/2, 0). Using the internal division of lines formula and given the ratio 2:1, it is proved that the point which cuts the line in that particular ratio is P. However, there was an initial algebraic error in finding the coordinates of A and B which was later corrected.
LAdidadida

Homework Statement

The normal to the hyperbola (x^2)/2 - y^2 = 1 at P (sqrt 3, sqrt 0.5) cuts the y-axis at A and the x-axis at B. Show that PA:PB = 2:1

Homework Equations

Equation of normal to general hyperbola at (x1,y1) is x(a^2)/x1 + y(b^2)/y1 = a^2 + b^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so that makes the eqn of this particular normal: 2x/sqrt 3 + (sqrt 2)y = 3
So A [0, (sqrt 3)/2] and B [3(sqrt 3)/2, 0]. So using the internal division of lines formula given the ratio 2:1 to prove that the point which cuts the line in that particular ratio is P, I end up with:

x = [1*0 + 2*3(sqrt3)/2] / (1+2)
= sqrt 3
y = [1*(sqrt 3)/2 + 2*0] / (1+2)
= 1/(2sqrt 3)

Which is not P... any insights into where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure your equations are right? Maybe I am wrong, but shouldn't it be a^2-b^2 on the RHS?

Thanks for replying! I'm pretty sure it is a^2 + b^2 though, the equation was given in the question before and I quickly derived it to double check.

You have made a major algebraic error in finding to coordination of A and B. I notice A, B and P is not colinear

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. How come A,B and P aren't collinear? Aren't they on the same line (the normal to the hyperbola?)

Yes... I meant in your solution, A [tex] (0,\sqrt{3}/2) [/tex], B [tex] (3\sqrt{3}/2, 0) [/tex], and P[tex] (\sqrt{3}, \sqrt{0.5}) [/tex] is not collinear..

Ohh! I see now, A should be (0, 3/sqrt2). I feel so stupid. Thanks for your help!

Sorry... confused it with the equation for the ellipse... my mistake

Related to Normal to the hyperbola Question

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section that is defined as the set of all points in a plane such that the difference of the distances from two fixed points (called foci) is constant.

2. How do you determine if a point is on a hyperbola?

To determine if a point is on a hyperbola, you can use the distance formula to find the distance from the point to each focus. If the difference of these distances is equal to the constant difference (also known as the eccentricity), then the point is on the hyperbola.

3. What is the standard equation for a hyperbola?

The standard equation for a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices along the x and y axes, respectively.

4. How do you graph a hyperbola?

To graph a hyperbola, plot the center of the hyperbola on the coordinate plane and use the values of a and b to determine the vertices. Then, plot the foci by finding the distance c = sqrt(a^2 + b^2) from the center along the major axis. Finally, use these points to draw the hyperbola's curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of hyperbolas?

Hyperbolas have many practical applications, including in satellite and spacecraft orbits, radio wave transmissions, and in the study of planetary motion. They also play a role in the design of optical instruments such as telescopes and cameras.