Normal subgroup with prime index

But this contradicts the fact that H < N_G(H). So H must be normal in G.In summary, if p is a prime and G is a group of order p^a, then every subgroup of index p is normal in G. This can be proven by using the fact that normalizers grow in p-groups and that the order of H is p^(a-1). This contradicts the assumption that H is not normal in G, thus proving the statement.
oyolasigmaz

Homework Statement

Prove that if p is a prime and G is a group of order p^a for some a in Z+, then every subgroup of index p is normal in G.

Homework Equations

We know the order of H is p^(a-1). H is a maximal subgroup, if that matters.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose H≤G and (G:H)=p but H is not a normal subgroup of G. So for some g in G Hg≠gH. I know I didn't do much, but is this the correct way to start? What to do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any general theorems about normalizers in p-groups?

I am not sure about which theorem you are talking about, but I just found a theorem giving me the result I want in Dummit and Foote stating that if n is the order of the group and p the largest prime dividing n, then I have the result I wanted.

The theorem I was talking about is that "normalizers grow" in p-groups. This means that if G is a p-group and H < G is a proper subgroup, then [itex]H < N_G(H)[/itex], i.e. H is a proper subgroup of its normalizer. (This is in fact true if G is any finite nilpotent group.)

Therefore if H < G and H has index p, [itex]N_G(H)[/itex] must be all of G.

Related to Normal subgroup with prime index

1. What is a normal subgroup with prime index?

A normal subgroup with prime index is a subgroup of a group that is closed under the group's operation and has a prime number as its index. This means that the number of cosets (distinct left or right cosets) of the subgroup in the group is equal to a prime number.

2. How is a normal subgroup with prime index different from a regular subgroup?

A normal subgroup with prime index is different from a regular subgroup because it has a prime number as its index, while a regular subgroup can have any positive integer as its index. Additionally, a normal subgroup with prime index is a special type of subgroup that has certain properties, such as being invariant under conjugation, which regular subgroups may not have.

3. What is the significance of having a prime index for a normal subgroup?

The significance of having a prime index for a normal subgroup lies in its properties and its relationship with the group it is a part of. A normal subgroup with prime index is important in group theory and has applications in various areas of mathematics, including algebra and number theory.

4. How do you determine if a subgroup has a prime index?

To determine if a subgroup has a prime index, you can divide the order of the group by the order of the subgroup. If the result is a prime number, then the subgroup has a prime index. Additionally, you can also check if the subgroup meets the definition of a normal subgroup with prime index.

5. What are some examples of groups with normal subgroups of prime index?

Some examples of groups with normal subgroups of prime index include cyclic groups, dihedral groups, and symmetric groups. These groups have subgroups with prime indices due to their specific structures and properties. Additionally, many other groups in abstract algebra and other areas of mathematics may also have normal subgroups with prime index.