How Do You Solve for a in a Normal Distribution Given Probability Ratios?

In summary: Another method may have been used by your classmate, but both methods should result in the same answer.
Of Mike and Men

Homework Statement

Suppose that X ~ N(μ,σ). Find a in terms of μ and σ if P(X>a) = 1/3 * P(X ≤a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 - P(X ≤a) = 1/3 * P(X ≤a)
3 = 4P(X ≤a)
P(X ≤a) = 3/4

Since x0 = μ + σz0 where x0 and z0 are the same percentile for N(μ,σ) and N(0,1) (respectively), then z0 = 0.67449 (by invNorm(0.75, 0, 1)). It follows that

a = μ + 0.67449σ

I'm not sure if this is the correct method, someone in my class solved it another way and got a different answer, but this seems to make sense to me.

Regards,

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your solution. Also please read my last comments on your Poisson distribution problem of last week. I think you'll find them of interest. That was actually the first time I had looked at the Poisson distribution in this much detail, and the two methods of solving the same problem are both quite interesting.

Likes Of Mike and Men
Of Mike and Men said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that X ~ N(μ,σ). Find a in terms of μ and σ if P(X>a) = 1/3 * P(X ≤a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 - P(X ≤a) = 1/3 * P(X ≤a)
3 = 4P(X ≤a)
P(X ≤a) = 3/4

Since x0 = μ + σz0 where x0 and z0 are the same percentile for N(μ,σ) and N(0,1) (respectively), then z0 = 0.67449 (by invNorm(0.75, 0, 1)). It follows that

a = μ + 0.67449σ

I'm not sure if this is the correct method, someone in my class solved it another way and got a different answer, but this seems to make sense to me.

Regards,

Michael

It is the correct method, and the answer is correct.

Related to How Do You Solve for a in a Normal Distribution Given Probability Ratios?

What is the Normal Distribution?

The Normal Distribution, also known as the Gaussian distribution, is a probability distribution that is commonly used to describe continuous random variables. It is characterized by a symmetric, bell-shaped curve and is often used to model natural phenomena such as height, weight, and test scores.

What are the properties of the Normal Distribution?

The Normal Distribution has three main properties: symmetry, a single peak, and the "68-95-99.7" rule. The symmetry of the curve means that the mean, median, and mode are all equal. The single peak indicates that the majority of the data falls around the mean. Lastly, the "68-95-99.7" rule states that approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.

How is the Normal Distribution used in statistics?

The Normal Distribution is used in statistics to make predictions and calculate probabilities. It is also used to test hypotheses and make inferences about a population based on a sample. Additionally, many statistical tests and models assume that the data follows a Normal Distribution.

What is the difference between a Normal Distribution and a Standard Normal Distribution?

A Standard Normal Distribution is a specific type of Normal Distribution with a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1. It is often used to standardize data and make it easier to compare across different distributions. A Normal Distribution, on the other hand, can have any mean and standard deviation.

How can you determine if a dataset follows a Normal Distribution?

There are several ways to determine if a dataset follows a Normal Distribution. One way is to visually examine a histogram or a probability plot of the data. If the data is roughly symmetric and bell-shaped, it is likely to follow a Normal Distribution. Another way is to use statistical tests, such as the Shapiro-Wilk test, to formally test for normality. However, it is important to note that these tests are not always accurate, especially with smaller sample sizes.