Normal Cyclic Subgroup in A_4: Proving Normality and Identifying Elements

In summary, The Cyclic Subgroup {(1), (123), (132)} is not normal in A_{4}. One can use the Sylow theorems to prove normality, but in this case it does not help. Another way to show non-normality is by finding an element g in A_4 such that gHg^(-1) is not equal to H, where H is the subgroup in question. This can be done by recognizing that cycles with an odd number of elements are even permutations and cycles with an even number of elements are odd permutations. Visually, A_4 can be seen as the group associated with rotations of the regular tetrahedron.
polarbears

Homework Statement

Is the Cyclic Subgroup { (1), (123), (132)} normal in [tex]A_{4}[/tex] (alternating group of 4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I believe if I just check if gH=Hg for all g in A_4 that would be suffice to show that it is a normal subgroup, but that seems really tedious. Is there a easier way?

Also how can I figure out what the elements of A_4 are? I know its the even permutations but is there a way to quickly identity which ones it is? How do I visualize it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Visually speaking, A_4 is the group associated with rotations of the regular tetrahedron, if that helps.

One can use the Sylow theorems to prove normality sometimes, but in this case it doesn't help.

So only way is by brute force?

polarbears said:
So only way is by brute force?

No, it's not the only way. In this case, I would try and guess an element g of A4 such that gHg^(-1) is NOT equal to H, where H is your subgroup. It's not hard. You can recognize whether a permutation is even just by looking at it's cycle structure. Cycles with an odd number of elements are even permutations and cycles with an even number of elements are odd permutations.

Related to Normal Cyclic Subgroup in A_4: Proving Normality and Identifying Elements

1. What is a normal cyclic subgroup?

A normal cyclic subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is generated by a single element and is closed under the group operation. It is considered normal if it is invariant under conjugation by any element in the larger group.

2. How is a normal cyclic subgroup different from a regular cyclic subgroup?

A normal cyclic subgroup is a subset of a group that is not only generated by a single element, but is also closed under conjugation by any other element in the group. This means that the subgroup is preserved under the group operation and its elements are not affected by transformations within the larger group. A regular cyclic subgroup, on the other hand, is not necessarily preserved under conjugation and its elements may be affected by transformations.

3. Can a normal cyclic subgroup be non-cyclic?

Yes, it is possible for a normal cyclic subgroup to be non-cyclic. This can happen when the subgroup is generated by a non-cyclic element, but is still closed under the group operation and is invariant under conjugation by any element in the larger group.

4. What is the significance of normal cyclic subgroups in group theory?

Normal cyclic subgroups are important in group theory because they provide a way to study groups by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable subgroups. This allows for a deeper understanding of the group and its properties. Additionally, normal cyclic subgroups have important applications in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in algebra, number theory, and group representations.

5. How are normal cyclic subgroups related to other types of subgroups?

A normal cyclic subgroup is a specific type of subgroup that has properties of both cyclic subgroups and normal subgroups. It is a cyclic subgroup because it is generated by a single element, and it is a normal subgroup because it is preserved under conjugation by any element in the larger group. Additionally, all normal cyclic subgroups are also abelian subgroups, meaning that their elements commute with each other.