Normal and Tangential Component of Vector on a Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tangential and normal components of a vector in any plane by integration. It is explained that the normal vector to a surface can be found using the gradient, and the tangent vector can be determined by also specifying a direction. However, it is noted that it does not make sense to sum vectors that are perpendicular to the bounding surfaces, as they are not forces. The conversation also mentions studying theorems of vector calculus, such as Gauss, Green, and Stokes.
Legolaz
media%2F9f6%2F9f6afdd4-ccc4-42a7-92ae-0f4a0a249a37%2FphpxRZC9o.png

Hello, given the figure above, how do I get the tangential and normal components of a vector in any plane by integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
You don't, at least not by integration.

To find the normal vector to a surface, you need to use the gradient:

http://math.oregonstate.edu/home/programs/undergrad/CalculusQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/grad/grad.html

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gradient.html

Thank you for the reply, Steamking.

Say, I got now the the normal equation for the surface, my tangential would be the 2nd derivative of the gradient function, right?

My next problem is, I want to sum up all Normal and Tangential vectors on the surface, so that I may find the net or resultant vector acting upon the centroid/center of mass of the surface, how to do it?

Legolaz said:
Thank you for the reply, Steamking.

Say, I got now the the normal equation for the surface, my tangential would be the 2nd derivative of the gradient function, right?

No, you're missing something here. Normals and tangents to surfaces are a little different from normals and tangents to 2-D curves.

By evaluating the gradient of a surface function at a point, we are actually calculating a normal vector to the surface at that point. By using the normal vector and the gradient, the equation of the tangent plane at this point can also be determined. Tangent vectors at the same point are a little harder to pin down, unless a direction for the tangent is also specified.

http://math.kennesaw.edu/~plaval/math2203/gradient.pdf

My next problem is, I want to sum up all Normal and Tangential vectors on the surface, so that I may find the net or resultant vector acting upon the centroid/center of mass of the surface, how to do it?

Why? The resultant vector of what?

Have you studied any of the theorems of vector calculus yet? Gauss, Green, Stokes?

Likes Legolaz
The resultant vector of all the tangent and the normal on the surface.

Nope, not yet.

Legolaz said:
]My next problem is, I want to sum up all Normal and Tangential vectors on the surface, so that I may find the net or resultant vector acting upon the centroid/center of mass of the surface, how to do it?

SteamKing said:
Why? The resultant vector of what?
@Legolaz, the image you showed is just a 3-D figure defined by some surfaces. It makes no sense to sum vectors that are perpendicular to each of the bounding surfaces. For a resultant vector, you need to be working with forces, which are not mentioned so far in this thread.

Likes Legolaz
Mark44 said:
@Legolaz, the image you showed is just a 3-D figure defined by some surfaces. It makes no sense to sum vectors that are perpendicular to each of the bounding surfaces. For a resultant vector, you need to be working with forces, which are not mentioned so far in this thread.
Yes Mark44, I understood and assume the ones I generally mentioned as "vectors" is referring to Force and Velocity gradients.

I mean, summing up vectors normal and tangential to the surface.

Last edited:

Related to Normal and Tangential Component of Vector on a Surface

1. What is the difference between the normal and tangential components of a vector on a surface?

The normal component of a vector on a surface is the component that is perpendicular to the surface, while the tangential component is the component that lies parallel to the surface. In other words, the normal component points directly away from the surface and the tangential component lies along the surface.

2. How are the normal and tangential components of a vector related?

The normal and tangential components of a vector are related by trigonometric functions. The normal component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the surface, while the tangential component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the sine of the angle.

3. How do you calculate the normal and tangential components of a vector on a surface?

To calculate the normal and tangential components of a vector on a surface, you first need to determine the angle between the vector and the surface. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to find the components as described in the previous answer.

4. Why are the normal and tangential components important in physics and engineering?

The normal and tangential components are important in physics and engineering because they allow us to analyze and understand the motion of objects on surfaces. The normal component is related to the force perpendicular to the surface, while the tangential component is related to the force parallel to the surface. This information is crucial in designing and predicting the behavior of objects on surfaces.

5. Can the normal and tangential components of a vector be negative?

Yes, the normal and tangential components of a vector can be negative. This indicates the direction of the component, with a negative value indicating the component is in the opposite direction of the positive value. For example, a negative normal component would point towards the surface instead of away from it.