Norm inequality, find coefficients

In summary, norm inequality is a mathematical concept that states the norm of the sum of two vectors or matrices is less than or equal to the sum of their individual norms. It is used in finding coefficients in various mathematical applications and plays a crucial role in scientific research. It can also be applied to non-linear systems, known as the generalized norm inequality. However, there are limitations to its use, such as in certain non-linear systems and providing a tight bound on the error. Careful consideration of its assumptions and conditions is important for its validity.
lep11
Member warned that homework posts must include an effort

Homework Statement

Find coefficients a,b>0 such that a||x||≤||x||≤b||x||.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to get started. Help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to get started. Help will be appreciated.

You must have tried something? You must have thought something? Share it with us because you are required to show some effort.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Math_QED said:
You must have tried something? You must have thought something? Share it with us because you are required to show some effort.
I have no idea how to find the coefficients...and I am not expecting you to do my homework.

it has something to do with equivalence of norms?

Last edited:
How is [itex]\|x\|[/itex] defined?
How is [itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex] defined?
What is the dimension of the space on which these norms are defined?

lep11 said:
I have no idea how to find the coefficients...and I am not expecting you to do my homework.

it has something to do with equivalence of norms?

Yes, that is exactly what the problem is about---showing how to prove norm equivalence.

What space is ##x## a member of? How are the norms defined?

lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

<empty>
pasmith said:
How is ∥x∥ defined?
How is ∥x∥ defined?
@lep11, definitions of these two norms would have been useful in the (empty) Relevant equations section.

pasmith said:
How is [itex]\|x\|[/itex] defined?

##\|x\|:=(\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i^2)^½##
pasmith said:
How is [itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex] defined?
[itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex]:=max{|x1|,...,|xn|}

pasmith said:
What is the dimension of the space on which these norms are defined?
x∈Rn, so dimension of the space is n.

lep11 said:
##\|x\|:=(\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i^2)^½##

[itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex]:=max{|x1|,...,|xn|}x∈Rn, so dimension of the space is n.

Why don't you look first at the case of ##n=2##, where you can easily draw pictures and make ##(x_1,x_2)##-diagrams to help you focus your thinking?

Likes S.G. Janssens
At 9 posts into this thread, the OP still has not shown an attempt -- thread closed.

@lep11, you may start another thread on this question, but you MUST show some effort or there will be consequences.

Related to Norm inequality, find coefficients

1. What is norm inequality?

Norm inequality refers to a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two vectors or matrices in a vector space. It states that the norm of the sum of two vectors or matrices is less than or equal to the sum of their individual norms.

2. How is norm inequality used in finding coefficients?

Norm inequality is used in finding coefficients in various mathematical applications, such as solving linear systems of equations or optimization problems. It provides a way to bound the error between the exact solution and the approximation of the solution, which is determined by the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of norm inequality in scientific research?

Norm inequality plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for the analysis and comparison of different mathematical models and helps to quantify the accuracy of numerical methods used in scientific research.

4. Can norm inequality be applied to non-linear systems?

Yes, norm inequality can be applied to non-linear systems as well. In this case, it is known as the generalized norm inequality and is used to bound the error between the exact solution and the approximation of the solution in non-linear systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using norm inequality in finding coefficients?

While norm inequality is a powerful tool in mathematical analysis, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be applicable in certain non-linear systems, and it may not provide a tight bound on the error in some cases. Additionally, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and conditions under which norm inequality is used to ensure its validity.