Nonuniform Linear Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and acceleration equations from a given position function and using them to solve for time in a specific scenario. There is also a correction made regarding the initial velocity and displacement values.
Auburn2017

Homework Statement

Refer to figure.

Homework Equations

v=ds/dt → ds=vdt
a=dv/dt → dv=adt
ads=vdv

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking the derivative of the given position function. Then I am kind of lost from there.

Attachments

• delete me.jpg
    delete me.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you must find velocity equation: v=ds/dt=f(t)
After that v=40m/s then f(t)=v=> t0
Finally, find aceleraition equation: a=dv/dt =g(t)
Replace the t0 a(t0)=g(t0)

Hamal_Arietis said:
First, you must find velocity equation: v=ds/dt=f(t)
After that v=40m/s then f(t)=v=> t0
Finally, find aceleraition equation: a=dv/dt =g(t)
Replace the t0 a(t0)=g(t0)
If you do this then you don't get the solution that was provided...

Ah two time are different. It is the time that you find aceleration
Find the time from v=15 to v=75
From v(t) equation: f(t1)=15m/s => t1
f(t2)=75m/s => t2 So the time is t2-t1

Auburn2017 said:
If you do this then you don't get the solution that was provided...
If initial velocity is the velocity at t=0, it is not 15m/s. If you neglect the 15m/s, your answers will match the given answers.

cnh1995 said:
If initial velocity is the velocity at t=0, it is not 15m/s. If you neglect the 15m/s, your answers will match the given answers.
Seems to me you get the given answers by taking the initial speed as 15m/s and changing the displacement to be 3t3+15t+6 to match.

haruspex said:
Seems to me you get the given answers by taking the initial speed as 15m/s and changing the displacement to be 3t3+15t+6 to match.
Right.. I meant to say neglect 14m/s and take initial velocity as 15m/s. I was about to edit but my network went off and later when I signed up again, I totally forgot that I was going to edit the post. Thanks!

Related to Nonuniform Linear Acceleration

1. What is nonuniform linear acceleration?

Nonuniform linear acceleration refers to a change in an object's velocity that is not constant over time. This means that the object is either speeding up or slowing down at varying rates.

2. How is nonuniform linear acceleration different from uniform linear acceleration?

Uniform linear acceleration occurs when an object's velocity changes at a constant rate, meaning it is either accelerating or decelerating at a steady pace. Nonuniform linear acceleration, on the other hand, has a changing rate of acceleration or deceleration.

3. What factors can cause nonuniform linear acceleration?

Nonuniform linear acceleration can be caused by various factors such as varying forces acting on an object, changes in the object's mass or distribution of mass, and friction or air resistance.

4. How is nonuniform linear acceleration measured?

Nonuniform linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit represents the change in an object's velocity over time due to acceleration or deceleration.

5. What is the significance of nonuniform linear acceleration in physics?

Nonuniform linear acceleration is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the motion of objects in real-world scenarios where forces are not constant. It is also essential in studying the principles of motion and how they apply to various phenomena in our universe.