Nonuniform Circular Motion - Find Maximum Total Acceleration

In summary, a turntable rotating at a constant angular velocity of 4.0 rad/s in a clockwise direction has a ten-cent coin located 5 cm from the axis of rotation. During a time interval of 0.5 s, the turntable is accelerated from rest to a final angular velocity of 4.0 rad/s with a constant angular acceleration of 8 rad/s^2. Using the equations a=\sqrt{a_{r}^2+a_{t}^2}, a_{r}=ω^2r, and a_{t}=αr, the magnitude of total acceleration of the coin can be expressed as a=r\sqrt{ω^4+α^2}. The maximum total acceleration experienced by the
LovePhys

Homework Statement

A turntable is rotating at a constant angular velocity of ω = 4.0 rad/s in the direction of a clockwise fashion. There is a ten-cent coin on the turntable, at a distance of 5 cm from the axis of rotation.

Consider the time interval during which the turntable is accelerated initially from rest to its final angular velocity (ωf = 4.0 rad/s) . This is achieved with a constant angular acceleration (α) for 0.5 s.

Find an expression for the magnitude of total acceleration of the coin in terms of α and ω and use this to determine the maximum total acceleration experienced by the coin.

Homework Equations

[itex]a=\sqrt{a_{r}^2+a_{t}^2}[/itex]
[itex]a_{r}=ω^2r[/itex]
[itex]a_{t}=αr[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using those equations, I find an expression for the total acceleration:
[itex]a=r\sqrt{ω^4+α^2}[/itex]
I don't understand why the problem is asking for a maximum total acceleration. I am already given the values of r, ω, and α, can I just substitute them into find the answer? Another thing that came into my mind when the word "maximum" pops up is finding the derivative of a function of a(t) with respect to time, but apparently I do not have that function here...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LovePhys

Physics news on Phys.org
LovePhys said:
I don't understand why the problem is asking for a maximum total acceleration. I am already given the values of r, ω, and α, can I just substitute them into find the answer?
Well, since ω varies over the given interval, you have to determine its maximum value. But I suspect you can handle it. :smile:

@Doc Al: Thanks for the hint. I think the maximum angular velocity is also the final angular velocity ω=4rad/s, isn't it?
[itex]α=\frac{Δω}{Δt}=\frac{4}{0.5}=8 (rad/s^2) [/itex]
So finally maximum [itex] a=0.05\sqrt{4^4+8^2}≈0.894(m/s^2) [/itex]

LovePhys said:
@Doc Al: Thanks for the hint. I think the maximum angular velocity is also the final angular velocity ω=4rad/s, isn't it?
Exactly.

[itex]α=\frac{Δω}{Δt}=\frac{4}{0.5}=8 (rad/s^2) [/itex]
So finally maximum [itex] a=0.05\sqrt{4^4+8^2}≈0.894(m/s^2) [/itex]
Looks good to me.

icist

As a scientist, your response should be focused on the physics principles involved in solving this problem rather than simply giving the solution. Here is a possible response:

The problem is asking for the maximum total acceleration experienced by the coin during the initial acceleration period. This is important because it tells us the maximum force that the coin will experience, which can be useful in understanding the stability of the coin on the turntable.

To solve this problem, we can use the given equations for total acceleration and the known values of ω and α. However, it is important to note that the total acceleration is a vector quantity, and we need to consider both the radial and tangential components of acceleration.

Using the equation for radial acceleration, we can see that it is directly proportional to ω^2, which means that as the angular velocity increases, the radial acceleration also increases. Similarly, the tangential acceleration is directly proportional to the angular acceleration α, so as the turntable accelerates faster, the tangential acceleration also increases.

To find the maximum total acceleration, we can substitute the known values of ω and α into the equation for total acceleration and solve for the maximum value. This will give us the maximum force that the coin will experience during the initial acceleration period.

Furthermore, we can also plot the total acceleration as a function of time and take the derivative to find the maximum value, as you suggested. This would give us a more detailed understanding of how the acceleration changes over time and at what point it reaches its maximum.

In conclusion, the maximum total acceleration experienced by the coin on the turntable can be found by using the given equations and known values of ω and α. It is important to consider both the radial and tangential components of acceleration and to understand how they change as the turntable accelerates.

Related to Nonuniform Circular Motion - Find Maximum Total Acceleration

What is nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion refers to the motion of an object moving in a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is accelerating, either increasing or decreasing its speed, while maintaining a constant direction of motion.

How is maximum total acceleration calculated in nonuniform circular motion?

Maximum total acceleration in nonuniform circular motion is calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where "a" is the acceleration, "v" is the velocity, and "r" is the radius of the circular path. This formula takes into account both the tangential acceleration (change in speed) and the radial acceleration (change in direction).

What factors affect the maximum total acceleration in nonuniform circular motion?

The maximum total acceleration in nonuniform circular motion is affected by the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the rate at which the speed changes. The greater the speed and the smaller the radius, the higher the acceleration will be. Similarly, a faster rate of change in speed will result in a higher acceleration.

How is nonuniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, resulting in a constant total acceleration of zero. In nonuniform circular motion, the speed of the object is changing, resulting in a non-zero total acceleration. Additionally, in uniform circular motion, the direction of motion is constant, while in nonuniform circular motion, the direction of motion is changing.

What are some real-life examples of nonuniform circular motion?

Some examples of nonuniform circular motion include a car going around a curve, a spinning top gradually slowing down, and a satellite orbiting the Earth with varying speeds due to gravity. Roller coasters and amusement park rides also often involve nonuniform circular motion due to the changing speeds and directions of motion.