Nonlinear Second Order Differential Equations: Solving yy''-(y')^2-6xy^2=0

In summary, the conversation involves solving a differential equation that involves y'' and y'. The attempt at a solution involves dividing the equation by y^2 and introducing a new variable v to simplify the equation. However, there is an error in the original attempt and the correct solution is y(x)=Ae^{3x^2+c_1x}.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must solve [itex]yy''-(y')^2-6xy^2=0[/itex].

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I reach something but this doesn't satisfy the original DE...
Here is my work:
I divide the DE by [itex]y^2[/itex] to get the new DE [itex]\frac{y''}{y}- \left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right ) ^2-6x=0[/itex]. Now I notice that [itex]\left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right )'=\frac{y''}{y}-1[/itex] so that the DE to solve reduces to [itex]\left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right )'- \left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right ) ^2+1-6x=0[/itex].
This suggests me to call a new variable [itex]v=\frac{y'}{y}[/itex]. Thus the DE to solve reduces to [itex]v'-v^2+1-6x=0[/itex]. It is separable so I'm extremely lucky. I reach that [itex]\ln y = \int (3x^2+c_1)dx+c_2 \Rightarrow y(x)=e^{x^3+c_1x}+c_2[/itex].
Hence [itex]y'=(3x^2+c_1)e^{x^3+c_1x}[/itex] and [itex]6xe^{x^3+c_1x}+(3x^2+c_1)^2e^{x^3+c_1x}[/itex]. Plugging these into the original DE doesn't reduces to 0.
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{y'}{y} \right )'=\frac{y''}{y}-(y')^2[/itex]

Added in Edit:

As pointed out by fluiistic in the following post: The above is wrong. It should be the following.

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{y'}{y} \right )'=\frac{y''}{y}-\left(\frac{y'}{y}\right)^2[/itex]

Last edited:
SammyS said:
[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{y'}{y} \right )'=\frac{y''}{y}-(y')^2[/itex]

Ah I see! Thanks for pointing this to me. I think you forgot to divide by y^2 the second term.

Edit: I now reach the result, namely [itex]y(x)=Ae^{3x^2+c_1x}[/itex] (this work). Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Related to Nonlinear Second Order Differential Equations: Solving yy''-(y')^2-6xy^2=0

1. What is a non linear second order differential equation?

A non linear second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable, along with the variable itself and its first derivative, and contains non linear terms. This means that the equation cannot be simplified into a linear form, where the dependent variable and its derivatives have a linear relationship.

2. How does a non linear second order differential equation differ from a linear one?

A linear second order differential equation can be solved using well-known methods such as separation of variables, while a non linear second order differential equation usually requires numerical methods or approximations to find a solution. Additionally, the behavior of solutions to a non linear second order differential equation can be more complex and unpredictable compared to a linear one.

3. What are some real-world applications of non linear second order differential equations?

Non linear second order differential equations can be used to model many phenomena in physics, engineering, and biology. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the behavior of a circuit with a non linear element, the spread of diseases in a population, and the growth of plant populations.

4. How are initial conditions determined for a non linear second order differential equation?

In order to solve a non linear second order differential equation, initial conditions for the dependent variable and its first derivative must be specified. These conditions can be determined from the problem being modeled or from experimental data.

5. What are some techniques for solving non linear second order differential equations?

Some techniques for solving non linear second order differential equations include numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method, series solutions, and approximations such as the perturbation method or the variational method. In some cases, non linear second order differential equations can also be transformed into linear equations using a change of variables or other methods.