Nonlinear differential equation

On the other hand, the term e2nf is not very big either, over the range 0 ≤ t ≤ 3, since n = 1 in this example.In summary, the DE is unpleasantly complicated and probably will not allow an analytic solution; however, it is not difficult to get numerical solutions.
PeteSampras

Homework Statement

I need to solve the follwing differential equation

$$(\frac{df}{dt}) \dfrac{4 n e^{4nf(t)}-9n e^{2nf(t)} (\frac{df}{dt})^2 + e^{2nf(t)} r^2 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2}+5n (\frac{df}{dt})^4 r^4 - r^4 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2} (\frac{df}{dt})^2}{-e^{2nf(t)}+ (\frac{df}{dt})^2 r^2}=0 $$

Homework Equations

r,n are constants >0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve in Maple the factor

$$4 n e^{4nf(t)}-9n e^{2nf(t)} (\frac{df}{dt})^2 + e^{2nf(t)} r^2 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2}+5n (\frac{df}{dt})^4 r^4 - r^4 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2}(\frac{df}{dt})^2=0$$

but the only solution that i find is such that the denominator is 0.

Also i think in a assumption ##\frac{df}{dt} \approx \epsilon## with ##\epsilon^3 \approx 0## but this is a solution of the form ##f(t) = \ln ( g(t) ) ## , ¿but the derivative is not small?

Help please

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
f is not constant too

PeteSampras said:

Homework Statement

$$(\frac{df}{dt}) \dfrac{4 n e^{4nf(t)}-9n e^{2nf(t)} (\frac{df}{dt})^2 + e^{2nf(t)} r^2 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2}+5n (\frac{df}{dt})^4 r^4 - r^4 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2} (\frac{df}{dt})^2}{-e^{2nf(t)}+ (\frac{df}{dt})^2 r^2}=0 $$

Homework Equations

r,n are constants >0

$$4 n e^{4nf(t)}-9n e^{2nf(t)} (\frac{df}{dt})^2 + e^{2nf(t)} r^2 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2}+5n (\frac{df}{dt})^4 r^4 - r^4 \frac{d^2f}{dt^2}(\frac{df}{dt})^2=0$$

Just to be clear, are you saying that the solution you found also makes the denominator zero?

This is such an ugly differential equation that I don't believe you're going to find an analytic (i.e., exact) solution. Have you tried any numerical methods?

What is the context for this DE?
PeteSampras said:
Also i think in a assumption ##\frac{df}{dt} \approx \epsilon## with ##\epsilon^3 \approx 0##
Where does this assumption come from? Is it part of the suggested approach to this problem?
PeteSampras said:
but this is a solution of the form ##f(t) = \ln ( g(t) ) ## , ¿but the derivative is not small?

Help please

PeteSampras said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

r,n are constants >0

Also i think in a assumption ##\frac{df}{dt} \approx \epsilon## with ##\epsilon^3 \approx 0## but this is a solution of the form ##f(t) = \ln ( g(t) ) ## , ¿but the derivative is not small?

Help please

As Mark44 has indicated, I think the DE is too nasty to be solved "analytically"; however, in Maple I can get numerical solutions easily. For example, if I set n = 1, r = 0.5 and use initial conditions f(0)=1, f'(0) = 0, the Maple command "sol:=dsolve({de,f(0)=1,D(f)(0)=0},numeric)" has no problem getting a solution that can be plotted out as a function of t. For this solution we can also evaluate the denominator, and it does not equal zero, except for a single root near the right-hand endpoint of the chosen t-interval (0 ≤ t ≤ 3).

In this case I just let Maple choose the default numerical method, but of course you can specify a wide range of methods via options to the dsolve command. Of course, in a serious study one should, in fact, be careful to solve the same system by several competing methods, just to check for accuracy, stiffness effects, stability, etc; and to the extent possible, one should vary the step sizes and maybe the floating-point precision as well, to see how truncation and roundoff errors affect things.

BTW: for the numerical solution in this case, df/dt is not at all small; the solution value f ranges from f(0) = 1 to about f(3) = -0.8, and the derivative is not quite linear over the range t = 0 --> 3; that is, df/dt varies with an average value of about -0.6.

Last edited:

Related to Nonlinear differential equation

What is a nonlinear differential equation?

A nonlinear differential equation is an equation that involves derivatives of a function and the function itself in a nonlinear way. This means that the function and its derivatives are not simply added, subtracted, or multiplied, but are instead raised to a power, multiplied together, or used in other nonlinear ways.

How is a nonlinear differential equation different from a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that involves derivatives of a function and the function itself in a linear way. This means that the function and its derivatives are simply added, subtracted, or multiplied. In contrast, a nonlinear differential equation involves nonlinear operations on the function and its derivatives.

What are some real-world applications of nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations are used to model a wide variety of phenomena in physics, engineering, biology, and other fields. Some examples include population growth, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electrical circuits.

How are nonlinear differential equations solved?

Solving nonlinear differential equations is a challenging task and there is no general method that works for all equations. Some techniques that are commonly used include separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

Why are nonlinear differential equations important?

Nonlinear differential equations play a crucial role in understanding and predicting complex systems in the natural world. They allow scientists to model and analyze real-world phenomena that cannot be described by simple linear equations. Nonlinear differential equations also have important applications in fields such as control theory and optimization.