Nonlinear 2nd order ode reduction solutions

In summary, the conversation is about a user trying to solve an ode reduction question using a hint and integration. They end up with a separable equation and integrate again to get p and y. They confirm that the first line is consistent with Mathematica and ask if it is correct to integrate p to get y. The expert responds by providing the correct steps to solve the equation and mentions that the user is told p=y' and should integrate both sides to get the solution. The user then asks for confirmation and the expert provides a clear explanation.
physicsjock
hey guys

i've been trying to work out this ode reduction question,

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8198/asdawt.jpg

after i use the hint and end up with a seperable equation then integrate to get

[itex]\begin{align}
& p=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{{{y}^{2}}-2c}} \\
& \text{Then}\,\,\,\text{integrating}\,\,\,\text{again (using}\,\,wolframalpha) \\
& y=\pm \log \left( \sqrt{{{y}^{2}}-2c}+y \right)+c \\
& A{{e}^{\pm y}}=\sqrt{{{y}^{2}}-2c}+y \\
\end{align}[/itex]

the first line above is consistent with what i get when i use mathematica

but after getting p, is it correct to integrate p to get y? It doesn't look correct in my working but I can't find another way to do it.

i thought about trying to solve the equation as y'= +/- ... instead as a first order ode but it seems too complicated,

Is there something simple I am not seeing?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are told that p= y'= dy/dx so
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{y^2- 2c}}[/tex]
and then
[tex]\frac{dy}{\pm\sqrt{y^2- 2c}}= dx[/tex]

Integrate both sides of that.

Hey HallsofIvy

Thanks for replying,

Are you sure its not:
[tex] \pm dy \sqrt{y^2- 2c}= dx[/tex]

since you take the dx to the right side, and the inverted root onto the left?

using the initial condition I get c=0 since

[tex]\begin{align}
& y'(0)=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{{{y}^{2}}(0)-2c}}=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-2c}}=-1 \\
& \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-2c}}=-1,\,\,\,\pm 1=-\sqrt{1-2c}\,\,squaring\,\,both\,\,sides \\
& 1=1-2c \\
& c=0 \\
& So\,y'(x)=\pm \frac{1}{y} \\
& \pm ydy=dx \\
& \pm \frac{1}{2}{{y}^{2}}=x+c \\
& \pm \frac{1}{2}{{y}^{2}}(0)=\pm \frac{1}{2}=c \\
& \therefore y(x)=\sqrt{2x\pm \frac{1}{2}} \\
\end{align}
[/tex]

does that look ok?

Last edited:
I tried it again today with a fresh start and I ended up getting the same thing,
The thing that makes me sus about it is the +/- inside the square root

Related to Nonlinear 2nd order ode reduction solutions

What is a nonlinear 2nd order ODE?

A nonlinear 2nd order ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives up to the second order. The equation is considered nonlinear if it cannot be written in the form of a linear combination of the unknown function and its derivatives.

Why is it important to find reduction solutions for nonlinear 2nd order ODEs?

Finding reduction solutions for nonlinear 2nd order ODEs is important because it simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve. By reducing the equation to a simpler form, it becomes more manageable and allows for a better understanding of the underlying dynamics.

What methods can be used to find reduction solutions for nonlinear 2nd order ODEs?

There are several methods that can be used to find reduction solutions for nonlinear 2nd order ODEs, such as substitution, transformation, and integration. These methods involve manipulating the equation in a systematic way to transform it into a simpler form that can be solved using known techniques.

What are some applications of nonlinear 2nd order ODE reduction solutions?

Nonlinear 2nd order ODE reduction solutions have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model and understand complex physical systems, such as oscillating systems, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. They also have applications in control theory, optimization, and mathematical biology.

What are the limitations of using reduction solutions for nonlinear 2nd order ODEs?

While reduction solutions can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve, there are limitations to their use. In some cases, the reduced equation may not accurately represent the original problem, leading to incorrect solutions. Additionally, the process of reducing the equation can be time-consuming and may not always be possible for more complex equations.