Nonhomogeneous system particular solution.

In summary, a nonhomogeneous system is a system of equations that does not have a constant solution. The particular solution of a nonhomogeneous system is a specific solution that satisfies the nonhomogeneous equations and can be found using a variety of methods such as substitution or elimination. This particular solution is unique and can be used to solve the entire system of equations. Nonhomogeneous systems are commonly found in applications of differential equations and can be solved using techniques such as variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients.
Pavoo

Homework Statement

Verify that the vector functions [itex]x_{1}=\begin{bmatrix}e^{t}\\ e^{t}\end{bmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]x_{2}=\begin{bmatrix}e^{-t}\\ 3e^{-t}\end{bmatrix}[/itex] are solutions to the homogeneous system

[itex]x'=Ax=\begin{bmatrix}2 & -1 \\ 3 & -2 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] on [itex](-\infty ,\infty )[/itex]

and that

[itex]x_{p} = \frac{3}{2}\begin{bmatrix}te^{t}\\ te^{t}\end{bmatrix}-\frac{1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}e^{t}\\3e^{t}\end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix}t\\2t\end{bmatrix}-\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] is a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous system x'=Ax + f(t), where f(t)=col([itex]e^{t},t[/itex]).

Find a general solution to x' = Ax + f(t).

Homework Equations

I can handle the first part, basically showing with a Wronskian wether the solutions form a fundamental solution set.

The second part, about the particular solution - completely stuck. I understand that the general solution is written in the form x = xp +Xc, so that is no problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I use eigenvectors, or should consider another way, such as described here?

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/NonhomogeneousSystems.aspx

Really thankful for all the hints here because the chapter in the book does not even cover particular solutions.

So, how do I verify that that particular solution is correct (meaning how do I derive a particular solution from the above data)?

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, all that is required is that you verify (i.e., plug and chug) that xp satisfies the inhomogeneous system.
If it does, then write the general solution using xp and xc. I don't think you are expected to derive xp from scratch.

SteamKing said:
IMO, all that is required is that you verify (i.e., plug and chug) that xp satisfies the inhomogeneous system.
Also, verify that x1(t) and x2(t) are solutions of the homogeneous system.
SteamKing said:
If it does, then write the general solution using xp and xc. I don't think you are expected to derive xp from scratch.
Right. Problems like this are relatively simple. You're given a potential solution and are asked to confirm that it is indeed a solution. Substitute the given functions into the appropriate differential equation and you should end up with a statement that is identically true.

Right. Problems like this are relatively simple. You're given a potential solution and are asked to confirm that it is indeed a solution. Substitute the given functions into the appropriate differential equation and you should end up with a statement that is identically true.

Thanks for the advice but I'm sorry - this is not enough for me to understand. I need to find out the way to derive it, because I am certain that I will get this on the coming test.

Here's what I found out on the them internets - but I got stuck here as well. I understand the general way to solving it, but maybe it's just that I'm stuck in some constants. Looking at the particular solution, this can be defines as:

[itex]x_{p}=ate^{t}+be^{t}+ct+d[/itex]

Looking at the formulas above, this can now be rewritten as:

[itex]ate^{t}+(a+b)e^{t}+c=Aate^{t}+Abe^{t}+Act+Ad+ \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}e^{t}+ \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}t[/itex]

So now I have: [itex]Aa=a, Ab=a+b-\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\end{bmatrix},Ac=-\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\end{bmatrix}, Ad=c[/itex]

Where A all along is [itex]A=\begin{bmatrix}2 & -1\\ 3 & -2\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

I get the constant [itex]a=\frac{3}{2}[/itex] which is correct. However, I am completely stuck with the constant b. I am calculating using [itex]\begin{bmatrix}b_{1}\\ b_{2}\end{bmatrix}[/itex]. But I get two exactly same equations.

Thank you for your help on this one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Nonhomogeneous system particular solution.

1. What is a nonhomogeneous system?

A nonhomogeneous system is a system of equations where the constant term (or the right-hand side) is not equal to zero. This means that the system is not balanced and has a non-zero solution.

2. How is a nonhomogeneous system different from a homogeneous system?

In a homogeneous system, the constant term (or the right-hand side) is equal to zero. This means that the system is balanced and has a trivial solution (x1 = x2 = ... = xn = 0). A nonhomogeneous system, on the other hand, has a non-zero solution.

3. What is a particular solution in a nonhomogeneous system?

A particular solution in a nonhomogeneous system is a specific solution that satisfies the given equations. It is obtained by adding a solution to the nonhomogeneous system to the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous system.

4. How do you find the particular solution in a nonhomogeneous system?

To find the particular solution in a nonhomogeneous system, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a solution that satisfies the nonhomogeneous equations and then using it to construct the particular solution.

5. Why is it important to find the particular solution in a nonhomogeneous system?

It is important to find the particular solution in a nonhomogeneous system because it gives the complete solution to the system of equations. The particular solution, when added to the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous system, gives the complete solution to the nonhomogeneous system. This allows us to fully understand the behavior of the system and make accurate predictions.