NonHomogeneous Second Order using Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of undetermined coefficients in solving equations with a product of two functions as g(t). The specific problem being worked on is y''-2y'-3y=-3te^-t, with roots of 3 and -1 for the homogeneous set of solutions. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed with the particular solution due to the product of two equations, but receives guidance on using the homogeneous set of solutions and multiplying the particular solution by t. The speaker also suggests referring to Boyce and DiPrima for further understanding.
Lucci
Hi all,
I understand the basic concept of undetermined coefficients, but am a little lost when g(t) in the equation yll+p(t)yl+q(t)y=g(t) is a product of two functions. The specific problem I'm working on is as follows:

yll-2yl-3y=-3te-t

When I solve for the homogeneous set of solutions I get roots 3 and -1
(r2-2r-3)=0
(r-3)(r+1)=0
Therefore, I have y(t)=c1e-t+c2e3t

Now, if g(t) were just equal to -3e-t I would just set Y(t)=Ae-t and use Y(t) to solve for the particular solution.

However, because g(t) is the product of two equations, I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Someone suggested that I use the homogeneous set of solutions as my Y(t), solve for Yl(t) and Yll(t) and plug those back into my original equation. Is this the correct way to approach this problem? And if so, how exactly am I supposed to do this?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

For your particular solution, normally you would use
[itex]y_{p}(x)=(At+B)e^{-t}[/itex]

where A and B are to be determined. However, [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] is a term in the homogeneous solution so you need to multiply the particular solution by t so that the problem is fixed. You then plug it into the equation and proceed as normally.

Hope that helps!

Also, Boyce and DiPrima gives a nice discussion of this stuff! ^_^

Last edited:

Related to NonHomogeneous Second Order using Undetermined Coefficients

1. What is a nonhomogeneous second order equation?

A nonhomogeneous second order equation is a type of differential equation that involves a second derivative of a variable, and also includes an independent variable and its derivatives. It is considered nonhomogeneous because it contains terms that are not equal to zero.

2. How is the method of undetermined coefficients used to solve nonhomogeneous second order equations?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used to find a particular solution to a nonhomogeneous second order equation. It involves guessing the form of the particular solution based on the form of the nonhomogeneous term, and then solving for the coefficients in the particular solution.

3. What are the steps for using the method of undetermined coefficients?

The steps for using the method of undetermined coefficients are:

• Step 1: Identify the form of the particular solution based on the form of the nonhomogeneous term.
  • Step 2: Substitute the particular solution into the original equation and solve for the undetermined coefficients.
  • Step 3: Substitute the values of the undetermined coefficients into the particular solution.
  • Step 4: Add the particular solution to the complementary solution (the solution to the homogeneous equation) to get the general solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using the method of undetermined coefficients?

Yes, the method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for certain types of nonhomogeneous terms, such as polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions. It cannot be used for non-polynomial functions or when the nonhomogeneous term is a linear combination of the terms listed above.

5. Can the method of undetermined coefficients be used for higher order nonhomogeneous equations?

Yes, the method of undetermined coefficients can be extended to solve nonhomogeneous equations of higher order. The same steps can be followed, but the form of the particular solution may be more complex and involve more undetermined coefficients.