Nonhomogeneous difference equation question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution for a difference equation involving an exponential term and a sine term. The person discussing the problem solves the homogeneous equation and then uses the method of undetermined coefficients to find a particular solution. They determine that the solution is of the form u(t)=C*3*5^t+D*sin(0.5πt), and use this to solve for the coefficients C and D. However, they are unsure how to handle the sine term and ask for assistance.
samoth2

Homework Statement

Find the general solution

Homework Equations

x(t+2)-3x(t+1)+2x(t)=3*5^t+sin(0.5πt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I start out by solving the homogeneous equation and end up with the two roots 1 and 2.

Then I try to use the method of undetermined coefficients to find a particular solution.

I guess that the solution is of the following form (I should probably include a cos term as well)

u(t)=C*3*5^t+D*sin(0.5πt)

then

u(t+1)=C*3*5^(t+1)+D*sin(0.5π(t+1))

and

u(t+2)=C*3*5^(t+2)+D*sin(0.5π(t+2))

I then insert these equations into the original equation to get

C*3*5^(t+2)+D*sin(0.5π(t+2))-3*(C*3*5^(t+1)+D*sin(0.5π(t+1)))+2*(C*3*5^t+D*sin(0.5πt))=3*5^t+sin(0.5πt)

move the terms around a bit to get

3*5^t(C*5^2-3*C*5+2*C)+D*sin(0.5π(t+2)-3*D*sin(0.5π(t+1))+2*D*sin(0.5πt)=3*5^5+sin(0.5πt)

From the first part I see that

(C*5^2-3*C*5+2*C)=1

so

C=1/12

I would like to do something similar for the sin part of the expression, but I'm not sure how to handle it.
I tried with sin(0.5π(t+2))=sin(0.5πt+π)=-sin(0.5πt) but then I don't know what to do with sin(0.5(t+1)).

If anyone has any hints, tips or tricks I would be happy.

I hope the equations are understandable otherwise I'll post them as a picture.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your original equation? It doesn't look like a non-homogeneous ODE to me.
[tex]x(t+2)-3x(t+1)+2x(t)=3(5^t)+sin(0.5πt)[/tex]
I just noticed in your title you call it a "difference equation" and not "differential equation", in which case, i might have misunderstood the problem.

I just realized I can do subscripts. The original problem is this:

xt+2-3xt+1+2xt=3(5t)+sin(0.5πt)

Yeah it's a difference equation so we only have discrete moments of time.

Related to Nonhomogeneous difference equation question

1. What is a nonhomogeneous difference equation?

A nonhomogeneous difference equation is a mathematical equation that relates the values of a sequence to the values of previous terms in the sequence, but also includes a non-zero constant term. This non-zero constant term is what makes the equation "nonhomogeneous", as opposed to a homogeneous difference equation which does not have this constant term.

2. How is a nonhomogeneous difference equation different from a homogeneous difference equation?

A nonhomogeneous difference equation includes a constant term, while a homogeneous difference equation does not. This constant term can make solving the nonhomogeneous difference equation more complex, as it introduces additional variables to the equation.

3. What are the applications of nonhomogeneous difference equations?

Nonhomogeneous difference equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve discrete changes over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

4. How do you solve a nonhomogeneous difference equation?

The solution to a nonhomogeneous difference equation involves finding the general solution and then applying initial conditions to determine the specific values of the constant terms. The general solution can be found using techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

5. What are the limitations of nonhomogeneous difference equations?

Nonhomogeneous difference equations are limited in their ability to accurately model complex systems with continuous changes. They are also limited in their applicability to systems with small time intervals, as this can result in significant errors in the predicted values. Additionally, nonhomogeneous difference equations may not have a unique solution, which can make it difficult to accurately predict the behavior of the system.