Nonhomogeneous BC Heat Conduction

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature distribution T(r, θ) in a long cylinder with two different temperatures, T1 and T2, impressed on its peripheral surface. The governing equation for this problem is 1/r ∂/∂r(r∂/∂r)+∂2T/∂z2, and the boundary conditions are T=T1 at r=0, T=T2 at r=r', and a new term Q=T-T1 to make the boundary conditions homogeneous. The laplace equation for this problem includes a θ dependence and does not include a z dependence.
obscure

Homework Statement

A very long cylinder has temperature T1 impressed on half of its peripheral surface and
temperature T2 impressed on the other half. Find T(r, θ).

Homework Equations

governing eq 1/r ∂/∂r(r∂/∂r)+∂2T/∂z2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am right at r=0 ;T=T1 at r=r' T=T2
to make BC homog define new term Q=T-T1

I am confused while define BCs

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-17_21-41-0.png
    upload_2016-1-17_21-41-0.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
If T is a function of r and θ, why do you have the z term in your Laplace equation. You should have the θ term, not the z term.

I am always confused with cylindrical coordinates. I know how to solve this but I couldn't formulate the problem as you sad I added z term.

obscure said:
I am always confused with cylindrical coordinates. I know how to solve this but I couldn't formulate the problem as you sad I added z term.
So what is the laplace equation when you include the theta dependence and omit the z dependence?

Related to Nonhomogeneous BC Heat Conduction

1. What is nonhomogeneous boundary condition in heat conduction?

Nonhomogeneous boundary condition in heat conduction refers to a situation where the temperature at the boundary of a material is not constant and varies with respect to time and space.

2. How does nonhomogeneous boundary condition affect heat transfer?

Nonhomogeneous boundary condition affects heat transfer by creating a temperature gradient at the boundary, leading to heat flow from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature.

3. What are some examples of nonhomogeneous boundary conditions in heat conduction?

Some examples of nonhomogeneous boundary conditions in heat conduction include heat convection at the boundary, heat generation within the material, and varying surface temperatures due to external factors like solar radiation or wind.

4. How is nonhomogeneous boundary condition mathematically represented in heat conduction equations?

Nonhomogeneous boundary condition is typically represented in heat conduction equations through the use of variable boundary temperature or heat flux terms, which take into account the variations in temperature or heat transfer at the boundary.

5. How can nonhomogeneous boundary condition be accounted for in heat conduction simulations?

Nonhomogeneous boundary condition can be accounted for in heat conduction simulations by incorporating the appropriate boundary conditions in the mathematical models and using numerical methods to solve the resulting equations. Advanced simulation techniques, such as finite element analysis, can also be used to accurately model and predict heat transfer in systems with nonhomogeneous boundary conditions.