Non spreading wave packet

In summary, the spread of a wave packet must be the same at its original and destination positions, but the center momentum of the wavepacket may be appreciably bigger than the width.
ognik

Homework Statement

Consider a wave packet satisfying the relation ## \Delta x \Delta p_x \approx \hbar ##
Show that if the packet is not to spread appreciably while it passes through a fixed position, the condition ## \Delta p_x << p_x ## must hold.

Homework Equations

## p_x = m \ddot{x} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel I am missing some information, I wote down ## (x - x_0)(p - p_0) = (x - x_0)m(x - x_0) \approx \hbar ## ... can't see how to apply the inequality usefully?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##p_x## in this case, the average momentum? Does the wavepacket propagate in free space?

Likes ognik
ognik said:

Homework Equations

## p_x = m \ddot{x} ##
Really?

Likes ognik
DrClaude said:
Really?
Sorry, Latex typo, should have been ## \dot{x} ##

Last edited:
blue_leaf77 said:
What is ##p_x## in this case, the average momentum? Does the wavepacket propagate in free space?
I think it is the momentum at a fixed point x - of the 'envelope' of the wave packet?

So what I was thinking is that the spread of the packet, ## = 2|x - x_0| ##, must be approx. the same at position x as it was at ## x_0##, but then I would have expected ## p \approx p_0 ##?

Note that in the preceding text, ## \omega (\vec{k}) ## was Taylor-expanded; the quadratic & higher terms were ignored so that the wave packet does not disperse. I am not sure if the text assumes the same for this exercise?

ognik said:
I think it is the momentum at a fixed point x - of the 'envelope' of the wave packet?
You cannot apply such a notion because for a fixed time ##t##, because the uncertainty of a measurement of momentum everywhere along the ##x## axis is the same (remember that to calculate an uncertainty, one has to integrate over all ##x##).
ognik said:
Note that in the preceding text, ω(⃗k) \omega (\vec{k}) was Taylor-expanded; the quadratic & higher terms were ignored so that the wave packet does not disperse.
I think the problem asks you to verify that statement in the text in a mathematical manner. You need to show that if the center momentum of the wavepacket is appreciably bigger than the width (in the momentum space), then you can indeed omit the higher powers in the expansion of ##\omega(k_x)##.

Likes ognik
blue_leaf77 said:
You cannot apply such a notion because for a fixed time ##t##, because the uncertainty of a measurement of momentum everywhere along the ##x## axis is the same (remember that to calculate an uncertainty, one has to integrate over all ##x##).

I have been thinking about this (always dangerous) but I think I've just made myself confused. Please give me a simple explanation of what ## \Delta p_x ## (the spread of momentum ?) and ## p_x ## (centre momentum, but what does it represent?) are, and how they inter-relate?

ognik said:
Please give me a simple explanation of what ΔpxΔpx \Delta p_x (the spread of momentum ?)
It's the width of ##|\phi(k_x)|^2## (up to the definition used for the width) and it's obviously related to the width of ##\phi(k_x)##.
ognik said:
pxpx p_x (centre momentum, but what does it represent?)
##p_x## in this problem is defined to be a representative of the center momentum of ##|\phi(k_x)|^2## (or of ##\phi(k_x)##). Good candidates for this parameter could be the average momentum ##\langle \phi |p_x|\phi \rangle## or the group velocity ##\frac{d\omega}{dk_x}\bigg|_{k_x=\kappa}## with ##\kappa## being the point aound which ##\omega(k_x)## is Taylor-expanded.
ognik said:
how they inter-relate?
There are no relationships between them because they are free parameters, i.e. you can change one of them without changing the other one.

Likes ognik
Have been going round in circles with this.
## \bar{k_x} ## is the value of ## k_x ## where ## | \phi(k_x) |^2 ## is a maximum, and the average momentum ## p_x = \hbar \bar{k_x} ##

But ## \Delta p_x = \hbar \Delta k_x ## is from ## 2 * (\bar{k_x} - k_x) ## where we find ## k_x ## at ## \frac{1}{2} | \phi(k_x) |^2 ##

How to take this further eludes me ...

Related to Non spreading wave packet

What is a non-spreading wave packet?

A non-spreading wave packet is a type of wave function that does not change shape or spread out as it propagates through space. This means that the amplitude and width of the wave packet remain constant over time.

How is a non-spreading wave packet different from a spreading wave packet?

A non-spreading wave packet is different from a spreading wave packet in that it maintains a constant shape and amplitude as it travels, while a spreading wave packet widens and decreases in amplitude over time.

What are some examples of non-spreading wave packets in nature?

One example of a non-spreading wave packet is a laser beam, which maintains a constant shape and intensity as it travels through space. Another example is a photon, which can be described as a non-spreading wave packet in quantum mechanics.

How are non-spreading wave packets used in scientific research?

Non-spreading wave packets are used in a variety of scientific fields, including optics, quantum mechanics, and acoustics. They are particularly useful in the study of wave phenomena and for creating precise and controlled wave patterns.

What are the mathematical properties of a non-spreading wave packet?

Mathematically, a non-spreading wave packet can be described as a Gaussian function with a constant width and amplitude. It also has a well-defined momentum and energy, making it useful for analyzing the behavior of particles in quantum systems.