One-dimensional HO in squeeze state

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
You should also take into account the change in the potential and the corresponding change in the Hamiltonian.
skrat

Homework Statement

A paticle in one-dimensional harmonic potential $$H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac 1 2 kx^2$$ is at tme ##t=0## in squeeze state for which we know $$(z\frac{x}{x_0}+i\frac{p}{p_0})|\psi >=0$$ where ##z\in \mathbb{C}## so that ##Re(z)>0##, ##x_0=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar }{m\omega }}##, ##x_0p_0=\hbar ## and ##\omega ^2=\frac k m##.

a)What is expected value of particle position and it's uncertainty? Hint: Write the equation above in coordinate presentation.
b) A particle in squeeze state at ##t=0## stays in that state even for ##t>0##. So $$(z(t)\frac{x}{x_0}+i\frac{p}{p_0})|\psi >=0$$ Prove that and find ##z(t)## (which is complex).
HINT:
Show ##(z\frac{x(t)}{x_0}+i\frac{p(t)}{p_0})|\psi >=0## where ##x(t)=e^{-i\frac H \hbar t}xe^{i\frac H \hbar t}## and ##p(t)=e^{-i\frac H \hbar t}pe^{i\frac H \hbar t}## and solve differential equations for ##\dot x (t)## and ##\dot p (t)##.
c)At time ##t=0## the particle is in ground state of hamiltonian ##H##. At ##t=0## we change the potential so that Hamiltonian for ##t>0## is $$\tilde{H}=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac 1 2 k\tilde x^2$$ How do expected value of particle's position and uncertainty change as a function of time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)$$(z\frac{x}{x_0}+i\frac{p}{p_0})|\psi >=(z\frac{x}{x_0}+i\frac{-i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial x}}{p_0})|\psi >=0$$ $$z\frac{x}{x_0}\psi (x)+\frac{\hbar}{p_0} {\psi}'(x)=0$$ And after solving this differential equation and normalization of ##\psi (x)## we should get something like $$\psi (x)=(\frac{zm\omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4}e^{-\frac{zm\omega}{2\pi \hbar}x^2}$$ Than $$<x>=(\frac{zm\omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/2}\int _{-\infty}^{\infty}xe^{-\frac{zm\omega}{\pi \hbar}x^2}dx=(\frac{\pi \hbar}{zm\omega})^{3/2}$$ and $$<x^2>=(\frac{zm\omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/2}\int _{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2e^{-\frac{zm\omega}{\pi \hbar}x^2}dx=(\frac{\pi \hbar}{zm\omega})^{2}\frac{\sqrt \pi}{2}$$ Finally $$\delta _x^2=<x^2>-<x>^2$$
b) $$\dot x (t)=\frac i \hbar [H,x]=\frac i \hbar (\frac{1}{2m}[p^2,x^]+\frac 1 2 k[x^2,x])=\frac{p(t)}{m}$$ and very similar for $$\dot p(t)=-kx(t)$$ If derive the second equation again, I can combine the both $$\ddot p(t)+\frac k m p(t)=0$$ which brings me to $$p(t)=Ae^{i\omega_0 t}+Be^{-i\omega_0 t}$$ Using the first equation also $$x(t)=\frac 1 m (\frac{1}{i\omega}Ae^{i\omega t}-\frac{1}{i\omega}Be^{-i\omega t})+C$$ Now I am not really sure how to find those constants ##A##, ##B## and ##C##. ??

c) No idea how to start. :/

Physics news on Phys.org

a) Your approach looks correct, but I think you made a mistake in the calculation of <x^2>. It should be <x^2>=(pi*hbar/zmomega)^2/2 instead of (pi*hbar/zmomega)^2*sqrt(pi)/2. Also, your expression for delta_x^2 is incorrect. It should be delta_x^2=<x^2>-<x>^2=(pi*hbar/zmomega)^2/4 instead of (pi*hbar/zmomega)^2.

b) To find the constants A, B and C, you can use the initial conditions given in the problem (z>0, x0p0=hbar, etc.) and solve for them. Remember that A and B must be complex conjugates of each other.

c) To find the expected value of the particle's position and uncertainty as a function of time, you can use the time evolution of the wave function given by the Schrodinger equation. The initial state of the particle is the ground state of the original Hamiltonian, so you can use the time evolution operator to find the wave function at time t, and then use it to calculate the expected value and uncertainty.

Related to One-dimensional HO in squeeze state

1. What is a one-dimensional HO in squeeze state?

A one-dimensional HO in squeeze state is a quantum mechanical system that models the oscillation of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. The "squeeze state" refers to a type of quantum state where the uncertainty in one of the particle's properties, such as position or momentum, is minimized while the uncertainty in the other property is maximized. This state can be achieved by applying a squeezing operator to the ground state of the HO.

2. What is the significance of studying the one-dimensional HO in squeeze state?

The one-dimensional HO in squeeze state is a simple but important model that allows scientists to study the behavior of quantum systems in confined spaces. It has applications in various fields such as quantum information processing, quantum cryptography, and quantum metrology. Additionally, studying the properties of the squeeze state can provide insight into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How is the one-dimensional HO in squeeze state different from the regular HO?

The regular HO is a system with a fixed energy and a linear spectrum, while the one-dimensional HO in squeeze state has a non-linear energy spectrum. This means that the energy levels are not equally spaced, and the particle can have a wider range of energies. Additionally, the regular HO has a fixed uncertainty in both position and momentum, while the squeeze state has a varying uncertainty depending on the squeezing parameter.

4. How is the one-dimensional HO in squeeze state experimentally realized?

The one-dimensional HO in squeeze state can be experimentally realized using a variety of techniques, such as trapped ions, superconducting circuits, or optical systems. These techniques involve manipulating the energy levels of a physical system to mimic the energy spectrum of the one-dimensional HO. The squeezing operator can then be applied using specialized equipment to create the squeeze state.

5. What are the potential applications of the one-dimensional HO in squeeze state?

The one-dimensional HO in squeeze state has potential applications in quantum information processing, where it can be used to create entangled states that are important for quantum computing and communication. It also has applications in quantum metrology, where the precise measurement of physical quantities is crucial, and in quantum cryptography, where it can be used to enhance the security of communication systems.